Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1.Truly cheap guest house, Delhi 7/5; 2. cheap apt. rental

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubism

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: 1.Truly cheap guest house, Delhi 7/5; 2. cheap apt. rental Reply with quote

I read about 200 rupee guest house rooms in Delhi, but I don't think they exist any more.

Teaching English in China makes even a 200 rupee room seem like a wild slurge. FT's often make tiny salaries, and you have to give up a lot of mobility in order to save. It can be done, but you live like a hermit.

What I want is someplace to lay my weary head after looking for more permanent digs all day. I'll stay in the guest house room only until I find a "real" apt./room. (I plan to tutor university students, maybe teach yoga again, and not return to China.)

So I have 2 needs:

1. cheap guest house room (200 rups or less) in Delhi/MT (daily rental) or a realistic substitute;

2. apt. or room w/ private bath in Delhi (longer term rental).

Thanks.
oxi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might get a better answer than this by now, but since there's nowt...

Short term - Paharganj, if you didn't already know, is the usual area - cheap, backpacker place next to the railway station. I haven't been in 5 years but there were rooms from 100R up.

Longer term, I dunno, but you can ask around once there I guess.
Cubism

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Cheap room info Reply with quote

Thank you for writing. And...

I read on India Mike that Paharganj is under heavy construction and the rooms start at 300 r. now. I decided to go back to Majnu-ka=tilla and get a room, which rooms are also 300 and up now. No construction, though, and 10 min. by rickshaw to the metro. So for short-term, I'm sort of ok.

Someone else said that Paharjanj rented rooms by the month. So I'll go by there next week, see how bad the construction is and if I can find a room.

I've never stayed there before, never even been there.
diced260

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boredom brought me to the India board. Catch the metro to Paharganj, either the blue line or the yellow line. They hit it at different ends. Near the middle of the main bazaar you'll find "Sam's Cafe". Start asking people for "Navratan Guest House", if I remember correctly, or "Naresh" Restaurant...or follow some Koreans or Japanese! They'll eventually make their way to the Korean restaurant about 20 feet from the guest house. Or ask them about the restaurant. It's around the corner (from Sam's), away from CP, down a very, very narrow alleyway. It's the cheapest guest house in Delhi. 120 RS just six months ago. Remember, you get what you pay for.

"Construction" doesn't mean a damn thing in India! Indiamike. I got booted off that site for telling it like it is...

Good luck finding a paying gig there. I think you're going to need it.
diced260

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...on the yellow line, there may be a stop now, I'm not sure, check around Mukherjee Nagar, just south of Model Town 1, for cheap digs. On...Mall Rd, I think it's called, you can find some options, and/or head west...towards Delhi University, North Campus....
Cubism

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Oh! Boring is beautiful Reply with quote

if it got you to answer my questions

You see, not a lot of options at the moment -- like none., and I want to get OUT of my current country. I'm not much counting on a paying gig; I'm just counting on being left alone so I can live my life, write my books, hopefully tutor a bit. Kathmandu has those things -- I had them arranged -- but the maoists make tutoring hazardous and unpredictible. And the visa costs. Wish I'd never left KTM, though: crummy experiences lately, NO cash, hence India where I have a visa.

Perhaps I have a gig at a Thai uni 9.10, but I'm deathly sick of glassy-eyed, smug uni kids. We shall see.

I KNEW there would be housing near Delhi U North campus; MT is close, and I go by there 2x/day for the metro. I've been looking and looking at maps of Model Town...memorizing neighborhoods. Makes sense now.

Don't know if buxibans (language schools) hire casual day labor in India. Trying to learn. I am arranging lists by area. Phone #'s change, e-mail addresses, so will do the actual cold calling once I'm in Delhi.

The adverts look pretty satanic...ie, everything so glossy and cute. Special language for parents. Well, hope one gives me a few hours next week. I'm getting my finger plays ready.

A long reply. Thanks diced260.
diced260

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money isn't an issue, and you have a philanthropic side, I have a recommendation that you might find interesting. There's a school located in a brothel district in "suburban" Banaras (Varanasi) that is there to try and break the cycle of birth-pimp/prostitution-?. You understand. You'd have the sacred city of Kashi to explore, find an escape, whatever, and the potential for something very, very rewarding in teaching those children of prostitutes English. It's the ONE thing that might give them a leg up... The couple that run the school would probably not be in a situation to pay you, but you could probably work out something for housing (like in a closet on the school grounds or something). They are a nice, dedicated group with a fascinating story to share.

I know for a fact that if you go, and stay, you will meet all kinds of wonderful people, both locals and foreigners that pass through on various student programs and whatnot. And you could make plenty of time to write. Perhaps even draw inspiration from the experience.

If this would be something you'd be serious about, I'll get you the contact details.
diced260

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Darawal Nagar, between MT 1 and 2, other side of Mall Rd, has several homes that students used to be able to get a small flat for a good rate...check it out. Ask for "Nirmal"...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: