Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computerized language labs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: computerized language labs Reply with quote

I just had a talk with the head of the prepa English department at my school. Supposedly, she got the go ahead to get their own lab and is looking for advice.

She is not keen on the self access model for the prepa level (except to have extra time after the last class) and wants a model where the teacher has more control over everything students do. Not my cup of tea but hey...

Anyway, she wants to purchase an integrated computer lab in which the teacher can monitor what students do from the teacher's desk. I have little experience with these as a student and no experience as a teacher or as a buyer of one.

Do any of you work with this kind of system at your school? What do you like or dislike about them? If you can tell me the name of the system, that would be great too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? Answers may vary depending on the actual availability of software there.

You just want something to monitor if kids are doing the work? Get the popular NetWitch program.

If you want to track what kids are doing over time, that's different. Also, what do you want the kids to do with the software? If it's merely a language learning lab for playing and replaying CD recordings, you don't need much. If you want internet access, recording facilities, interactive software, video dubbing, etc., that's a huge ball of wax and anyone getting into this should take 6 months at least (!) to evaluate options.

One more often overlooked thing: just because a room has a bunch of computers, internet access, headphones and NetWitch, that doesn't mean self-access is guaranteed. Students need to be monitored for their progress and correction of weak points. If teachers think software alone does that, they are wasting money, time, energy, and students' education.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to fly NetWitch and see what happens. I kind of know what they will do in the end is contact a vendor here in Mexico and buy some kind of system that promises everything *sigh*

The fact of the matter is that the only activities they know they want to do are those they use to do with the old cassette tape based language lab. I told them that computers offer everything (lots and lots of options) and nothing (in the way of guidance) at the same time.

The focus of the preparatory-level lab will be for classroom use and having it open access for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I run the self access lab for the college level courses.

Thanks for responding Glenski!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: