Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying over and looking for work...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Flying over and looking for work... Reply with quote

I worked in Korea for about 5 years but left in March at the end of my last university gig. I had flown home during the winter vacation to get my criminal background check and all that business taken care of thinking that that would be less complicated than playing tag with various government offices through the mail. I also needed a break from Korea. Anyway, during that vacation I missed out on many university interviews and didn't get a position for this current semester.

I have been home in the US since then and am bored to tears. I still have 60% of my savings in Korea which I need to get out in August. So, I'm thinking about flying over in late July and August to look for university gigs and if unsuccessful in finding a new university gig I'll empty my bank account and go to Cambodia to look for work.

Does this sound feasible/logical?

I've heard the key to finding work in Cambodia is to be in Cambodia. Is this still the case? How is late summer to early autumn for job hunting?

What sort of accommodation should I be looking for while searching?

What sort of things should I pack? How light should I travel?

What areas are best to look for work in?

What level of language proficiency is recommended?

Would I be able to find university work with a BA (plus enough credits for another degree in my minor), a TESL certificate and 4.5 years of experience.

Etc., etc., thanks for your input.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: GOOD LUCK and BON VOyAGE Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this sound feasible/logical? YES OF COURSE--JUST GO

I've heard the key to finding work in Cambodia is to be in Cambodia. Is this still the case? How is late summer to early autumn for job hunting?

DEPENDS--EARLY SUMMER IS GOOD FOR ACE the australian centre for eduxcation, but any time is a good time for cambodia

What sort of accommodation should I be looking for while searching?

CHEAP --lots of cheap rooms,, hotels, guesthouses, worry about that when you get there

What sort of things should I pack? How light should I travel?

you can buy anything there--travel light

What areas are best to look for work in?

Phnom Penh and Siem Reap

What level of language proficiency is recommended?

Native speaking

Would I be able to find university work with a BA (plus enough credits for another degree in my minor), a TESL certificate and 4.5 years of experience.

YES no problem

Etc., etc., thanks for your input
nonbeuroboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: its easier Reply with quote

than you think- just show up dont worry so much apply at PUC and you will get hired - stay at a guest house for less than 10 a nite and have fun- otherwise dont bother with Cambodia if you cannot lighten up and have fun - this place will eat you alive if you cannot lay off worrying
chaz47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: what about vacation? Reply with quote

I'm getting university offers from China but after several years in Korea I think I'm ready to step outside the Sinosphere.

However, I do have some obligations back here in the US so I need to make it back at least once a year, twice would be best. So vacation time and the funds to pay for airfare are important. How doable is this from a Cambodian university?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: