Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missclow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Cost of living Reply with quote

HI, I'm considering moving to Costa Rica next year and was just wondering what the cost of living is like, including rent etc. Can a wage out there support you or do you need extra money? Thanks!
jprimm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, you will need extra money. To have any kind of life style you will have to supplement your $8. an hour income...or either teach many hours and live with room mates. Having your own apartment will cost at least $400. in a "reasonably" safe area. Costa Rica is probably the most expensive country in Central America. Nicaragua and Panama are much cheaper. I hope this helps.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Costa Rica is pricey and living by yourself and teaching English often times is not economical. You'll want some savings to be able to travel and enjoy yourself. When I taught I was able to get by on my teacher salary because I have a roommate, cheap apartment and share food with ym roommate. It can be done, but in general, apartments are surprisingly pricey and items from clothing to even alcohol are on par with the U.S. or in the case of clothing, more expensive.
PuraVidas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring some extra money to help until you get yourself established. A roommate will definitely make things easier financially.
deessell2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costa Rica was relatively expensive four years ago, so I assume that things have increased in price.

Fresh fruit and vegetables from the markets are cheap and of a good quality. I didn't eat out at restaurants much as it was generally low quality, uninspiring and fairly expensive.

Very beautiful country but in my opinion suited to the self funded, not for English Teachers or those on minimal wage. I moved back to Asia. I do miss the beautiful tropical flowers -- the heliconias!
Paniota

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: cost of living Reply with quote

Do you have a sense of where in Costa Rica you want to live?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: