Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Munich, then long-shot job in Germany?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: CELTA in Munich, then long-shot job in Germany? Reply with quote

......I say long-shot because Im a US citizen, and EU personnel will get first grab. But are Americans ever really hired in Germany (or anywhere for that matter in the Schengen Zone)?

Could we put it at 5% probability? Does anyone have any decent stats on this?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's legally possible in Germany. Yes, unlikely.... it's a tough market to begin with, and with just newbie level quals, difficult to find much. But not impossible - I guess your 5-10% estimate of chances is realistic.

No, I really don't think there are stats - who would compile them?

Overall, EU - here's my decently-educated take on countries.....

Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Sweden, Norway, Austria: very near nil chance for non-EU newbies without some special circumstances (marraige to local, study/work visa through university in-country).

Belgium and Luxembourg: check the current Embassy requirements for work permits. In the past, slight chance. Beware: Belgium is really only Brussels or Spa, and wages are below subsistence in many cases. Luxembourg is a good place, and US citizens used to be eligible for work permits, but it's a TINY job market = there are a grand total of two private language schools in the city. Caveat: I do not know if it is currently possible for non-EU citizens to get work permits - I only know it used to be!

Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia still legally possible, but due to tight job market, not easy. Read the country specific boards for more/current info on this.
I haven't any info on Hungary - again, check the board.

The problem with EU first is that there just aren't that many jobs around in general anymore - there are nearly enough EU member teachers to fill them in most areas these days....that's only general - obviously there are exceptions to this in the countries where non-EU member citizens can work legally!!
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t think any regular CELTA providers exist in Munich. If there�s a place offering one or two CELTA courses a year, I�d recommend going somewhere offering all year round courses instead. The trainers and facilities will be far better.

I know Munich well. It�s no more expensive than any German city. What a myth that is, apart from accommodation which is scarce and horrendously expensive.

I�m no Germany fan, but I like Berlin and have lived here since 2006. Munich is a sleepy village in comparison. There�s always something going on in Berlin. Munich has its overrated Oktoberfest and is happy with that for the rest of the year. Apart from a handful of very good Italian restaurants, decent international cuisine isn�t done in Munich.

Enough with the Munich tourist board, do a CELTA in a place you know well.
eclectic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/teaching/centreContactDetails.do?centreNumber=DE633&qualification=10&source=teacheraward&country=DE

don't know if this is defunct, moot, null and/or void, etc. Does anybody know this place and is it still there? 1 bad sign: not getting any email response. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: