Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa criminal record requirement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winterwind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Visa criminal record requirement Reply with quote

This is a question for those that have done work visas in Kuwait before.

Did you all submit your criminal record from your home country to get your work visa? Did you need to produce soon after you landed in the country?

Im Canadian and have not got it done yet, but I have accepted a teaching post for September.

Question for any Canadians: did any of you get this done from Kuwait or abroad? Or must it be done from your home country's police station. I'm in Shanghai now, not exactly looking forward to a trip back just to get a piece of paper.

Thanks in advance.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to submit one if you're working for some employers, at least not at first. This is because you'll be working on a tourist (i.e. illegal) visa until you 'get legal'. Some employers won't ever get you legal.

However, you can bet your bottom Rial that one of your colleagues will check you out via one of those 'find-all, tell-all' sites using only his laptop. That's why it's called 'the information age'. Anyone anywhere can find out all about you. The right to privacy is now dead. If you have anything to hide, you'll eventually be found out. You'll then be ratted out, especially if you're not liked by your colleagues. In TESOL, ya gotta blow sunshine up people's rears if you're gonna last. Being a charming liar goes a long way.
winterwind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent worked in Kuwait before but Ive been doing research online as to what it takes to get a work visa.

It seems you need to get the "No objection certificate" before you can apply for the visa. I assumed the criminal record requirement is part of getting the no objection certificate as thats affiliated with the police there it seems like.

I dont think the school is interested in seeing it for their own purposes, but maybe thats possible...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winterwind wrote:
It seems you need to get the "No objection certificate" before you can apply for the visa. I assumed the criminal record requirement is part of getting the no objection certificate as thats affiliated with the police there it seems like.

Really? Then Kuwait is different from the other Gulf countries where an NOC is a piece of paper provided by a previous employer (within the same country) saying that you are eligible for another job in that country. I never heard of them having anything to do with the police.

I never had to provide any kind of police checks when I was hired at KU, but that was too many years ago to matter.

But leave it to Kuwait to turn a common piece of paperwork required in many other countries into something completely unrelated.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: