Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good employers in Valpara�so/Vi�a del Mar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bh_daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Good employers in Valpara�so/Vi�a del Mar Reply with quote

My family and I are planning to go to the Valpo/Vi�a area in January 2011, as I understand most programs get going with the school year around March. I gather that it's not uncommon for schools to ask for interviews upon arrival rather than hiring from abroad. Nonetheless, I'd like to be in contact with a few different institutions before we arrive.

I've seen some of the older posts that pertain to this topic, but many of them are a few years old. So I hope some current or recent folks in the area can provide some insight:

What are some of the better/reliable schools and institutes in the area? As close as the two cities seem to be, I don't mind at all if they're in one or the other.

How much, more or less, should one expect per hour or per month as a teacher in order to make ends meet in this part of Chile? We're happy with a small apartment and food shopping in the local markets, etc.

Much appreciated. We've been in Latin America for a few years already and we're looking forward to seeing a new part of it.
Dia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my summary. Please correct any of my estimates or comments... its all info I've heard word of mouth from people who work at these places. Their experiences may be unique or out of date...

There are quite a few institutes in Vina and Valparaiso. Many of them serve both cities, especially when you go to the clients office. I've heard the most positive responses about the International Center, CCI, and the Britanico.

Wall street- In Vina on Libertad, somewhere around 5 norte, they just moved to a new building . Its the most famous but has low pay around 3,000 per hour, I've heard lots of complaints about how things are run, but that its tolerable if you really need work.

KOE- its in Vina on libertad near 13 norte. I've never met anybody who has taught or taken classes there...but the place gives off a weird vibe that wants to brand itself similar to Wall Street. They have a skeptical sign out front saying you'll know english in 9 months or something.

International Institute- Its near the quinta vergara in Vina del mar. In general teachers really like it there and I think its about the highest institute pay you'll find.

Tronwell- Its behind Cruz Verde on the corner of Alvarez with Traslavina. I've been told they hire part or full time instead of a class by class basis. I've heard pretty good things from teachers and students.

Institute Chileno Norteamericano (In Vina, Valparaiso)- also pays around 3,000 per hour, has a pretty good reputation, though teachers express small frusterations

CCI-Centro de Capacitacion en Idiomas- In vina on calle Valparaiso with Villanelo. really good reputation and above average institute pay. They hire part time on a class by class basis.

Institute Britanico- in vina. Lower pay around 4,000 per hour, but in general liked and respected by teachers. I've heard many mention the library they have.

There are some english speaking nursery schools (One World? - well liked), universities (only some of which will hire people without a full degree in education and/or masters- many hire in December or the summer for the upcoming year, though last minute needs arent uncommon), or elementary through high schools (many of which have somewhat low pay and can be frustrating depending on teacher resources and support- most ESL teachers dont go this route unless its through a program or at a private school).

To live in Vina or Valparaiso as a couple you should be prepared to spend between 150,000 -250,000 per month on housing costs. You can, of course, find many options outside of this if you want (both directions- go up the hill for cheaper, beachside high rise for $$) but its the range I see most foreigners deciding upon because of the safety/location cost benefit.

As an idea... my housing costs 100,000, water 10,000, gas around 10,000... internet/cable 30,000, electricity 10,000. So I pay usually 160,000 per month rent and utilities.

Your second main cost might be food, especially if you buy packaged grocery store food.

Its hard to estimate because I often cover more than my share but remember feeling uncomfortable trying to cover costs in months when I earned under around 350,000. But frankly, one always wants more. Money never seems to go far enough in Chile. Staple foods from a market will drastically change your expenditures. Write me if you want more specifics.

Good luck!
bh_daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great response, Dia. Many thanks. Since it sounds like you're still in the area, I'll probably contact you again as our time of arrival gets closer, if you don't mind.
Mbarbetta1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for providing information on the schools. I am currently researching them right now. If you come up with any more great information please keep posting or personal message me! your help is appreciated!
Dia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOE seems to have moved or disappeared. honestly i never heard a good think, or much at all, about them anyway.

another option worth mentioning for the vina/valpo area is the Navy. I have spoken to many people who have been working for the navy over the past few years. Some of them taught classes through other institutes, others directly, some even had some types of office hours. One job involves doing an interview/evaluation of students, often times with the native speaker doing the conversation and interview, with another person listening over and doing the actual evaluation.

Some positives are that it is generally stable, and some people have had decent hours. Negatives include that sometimes tests are pre-established and teachers don't always get to see them ahead of time in order to prepare well.
lohanson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in Valpo. I was going to go there but read that they have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: