Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Certificate Should I pursue.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justanl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: What Certificate Should I pursue. Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting a certificate to teach English in Chile in a little over a year from now. I see multiple certificates and need to know if I should go for the TESL or something else for Chile. I was prepared to go for the TESL but just want to be extra sure. What would be a reason someone pursues a different certificate. Thanks for any possible input.

JL
Dia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to really put anybody down but I feel like many places don't even really know what the different certificates mean or represent, aside from the basic "certificate to teach english as a foreign language" overview. Your employer might think a certificate represents way more studies than it does, or they might consider it next to nothing, constantly comparing to other teachers with master's or 5 year teaching degrees (as most Chilean English teachers have).

I feel like if you do interview at a place that knows about and cares about the specifics of your certificate, they will most likely care most about the length and whether it was in person or online (they will logically realize that an in-person, semester long course will represent more investment and knowledge than a 20 hour online course...). However aside from that, and since most certificates seem to be some middle ground of those factors... I think whichever certificate you get, the most important part is that you should know what it represents and how to market it. For instance, what methods or approaches did your certificate teach you about and focus on...which ones did you most closely use in your observed practice teaching (speaking of, thats a great element to mention if your certificate had that)?

So... pick whichever makes most sense for you. Its a gamble though, the more intensive courses are much more expensive, so its hard to know if you'll find it pays off in the end or not. You might someday get turned down for a great job because you didnt invest in a better course, or...like me, invest in an expensive course only to realize you probably could've gotten by with some $50 online semi-scam program. hahah (self pity laugh)

The majority of jobs in Chile do not require you to have a specific ESL certificate (if anything, I have seen that my Chilean employers seem to know the most about CELTA because the Cambridge testing is respected here, though I've never felt looked down upon for having a TEFL myself).

*for the record, in one interview my then-future boss was very interested in my course and what I learned from it. I did feel more respect towards that person for caring, and more respected by them for the interest in my qualifications. I was proud and confident in what I'd learned... though in the long run I could've still made it by or possibly have gotten the same jobs without
justanl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Good Feedback Reply with quote

Thanks alot for taking the time to write the detailed information. Now you really got me thinking, because the course I was looking into was in person and over $1000. I have no teaching experience but will have my MBA in May 2011. So you are in Chile? Santiago? If ok with you, could I e-mail you with future questions? I would like to take advantage of knowing someone doing what I'm trying to do. So you don't have to post your e-mail where everyone can see, you could send it to me at [email protected] Thanks again for the time you put into your response. JL
novia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out that outside Santiago being a gringo is enough to get a job usually. Dress up and act the part. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: