Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahwan Cyberteck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shibainu69

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a surfer 1st English teacher 2nd so Salalah is really appealing to me.
The ticket allowance is 100 OR per month so about 2500 dollars a year for the return ticket. Actually uni of N is 20 hours contact 6 office hours only that is the really good point about it, the only problem is its in Nizwa.
Duffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a surfer

That is just it. You have surfed all these sites and tried to bleed info out of members such as me. I have given you all you want to know about the Salalah area in PM's but still you pester people.

You want aerobics for your wife - ok, we have indicated where it can be found.

You are seemingly desperate for details about contracts, even though you have been told that you will not receive it until you arrive.

I would suggest that you forget the Middle East as it is obviously not the place that "ticks" all your boxes"

From your posts it is obvious that you are looking for what you can gain from your lifestyle and to hell with the students. Not once have you enquired about them or the syllabus etc.

shibainu69

Don't bother with Oman as I am sure you will be totally unsuited.

Duffy
No_Longer_Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfing in Salalah????

Took me 30 seconds to find this on the web:

The months of June to August are known as the Khareef (also written as Kharif, Karif, Kareef, Harif, Hareef) when you get heavy monsoon swells coming up the Indian Ocean. Surf is usually large and messy with strong currents. The rest of the year the surf is usually small and barely good enough for long boarders. Great for beginners though.

And Aerobics??? ITS OMAN!! Get real!
jdl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Duffy. Polite and spot on!

Backpacking is hopefully being replaced as the number one motivation for ESL teaching. Perhaps the gigs will become careers; the instructors,teachers and ESL teaching a profession. The world may even become larger than one's belly button.
Duffy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N_L_S,

Look at this article about surfing in Oman, you may be surprised. Very Happy

http://server4a.pressmart.net/theweeknew/index.aspx

Duffy Laughing Laughing
shibainu69

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just it. You have surfed all these sites and tried to bleed info out of members such as me. I have given you all you want to know about the Salalah area in PM's but still you pester people.

You want aerobics for your wife - ok, we have indicated where it can be found.

You are seemingly desperate for details about contracts, even though you have been told that you will not receive it until you arrive.

I would suggest that you forget the Middle East as it is obviously not the place that "ticks" all your boxes"

From your posts it is obvious that you are looking for what you can gain from your lifestyle and to hell with the students. Not once have you enquired about them or the syllabus etc.

shibainu69

Don't bother with Oman as I am sure you will be totally unsuited.

Duffy[/quote]

I think Salalah ticks all the boxes compared to nizwa. I've asked the colleges directly about students syllabus etc... but I don't want to ask them about gyms, surfing etc... that's why I used the forum, what's wrong with that its the point of a forum isn't it? I appreciate your PMs and the detail you gave.
I want to find somewhere I like before deciding to go there what's wrong with that? then I don't quit after 3 weeks because I don't like the place. If you aren't happy in a place its going to reflect in your teaching so the first thing to satisfy is yourself and the teaching will automatically sort itself out.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Mr Duffy can be a bit gruff at times. I think most of us - well, me anyway - look at the work situation first and spare time activities second. Laughing

The one problem that I can foresee is that one must be flexible in these Gulf countries... and have low expectations of employers, flats, and perhaps waves. There is always lots of bureaucracy to deal with... both governmental and employer related and inter-related. Your posts suggest that you may be looking for a perfection that doesn't exist... but I could be wrong. Cool

VS
Hsinchuguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bahwan Cyberteck Reply with quote

shibainu69 wrote:
MIght be going to work with them can anyone who has been working with them let me know what they are like?
From previous posts they seem pretty bd but what are they like now 2010?
pm if you prefer

I would very strongly urge you to reconsider. I accepted a position from them four years ago, and as much as I loved Oman, Bahwan soured the experience. In a nutshell, they lied about everything; housing, pay, work situation..everything. Out of our group that was initially hired, 20 out of 35, including me, broke contract and fled. PM me if you want to discuss this.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Hsinchuguy.

Bahwan leaves out critical details about the contract, details you won't learn until you're on the ground in Oman and they finally plop the contract down in front of you to sign.

One detail is the 'three months' notice/three months' salary' requirement. If you have to get out of a contract early for some reason, you'll have to give up three months' salary. This is totally unfair in my opinion. This is because Bahawan is obligated to give only 1 month's notice if they want to get rid of you. Sure, you may be a bad-apple teacher, but what if you're working for a bad apple school and want to get the hell out? You gotta suffer through 3 months or do a runner, that's what. That's not much of a choice.

Forget about Bahwan.
shibainu69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: dfhkdfkdfk Reply with quote

what else is bd about them?
That 3 months thingy sucks but isn't unusual.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three-month rule is a lie of omission to me. And a lie of omission is still a lie.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: dfhkdfkdfk Reply with quote

shibainu69 wrote:
That 3 months thingy sucks but isn't unusual.

How nice to see a more mature attitude. If all you can complain about is how quickly you can decamp... really... Rolling Eyes

VS
abayawearer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tellling like it is. If the school is a bad apple, I'm out of there. If I can give a reasonable notice, say, the same notice the school is obligated to give me, I'll give it. If I have to give a ridiculous 3 months' notice, it's runner time.

I won't put up with a three-stooges school for even a week now if I have to give an unreasonable notice.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abayawearer wrote:
I'm tellling like it is.

No, you're telling us how you are. It is attitudes like this that is the reason that EFL is considered by many NOT to be a profession, but a hobby for travelers.

VS
bje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abayawearer wrote:
I'm tellling like it is. If the school is a bad apple, I'm out of there. If I can give a reasonable notice, say, the same notice the school is obligated to give me, I'll give it. If I have to give a ridiculous 3 months' notice, it's runner time.

I won't put up with a three-stooges school for even a week now if I have to give an unreasonable notice.

Don't bother considering the UAE then, as the norm at decent institutes is 6 months' notice. People seem to cope with that stipulation just fine, although the odd loose cannon has been known to do a runner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: