Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jobs in lithuania

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: jobs in lithuania Reply with quote

I will be going over to lithuania next fall for a couple of months. I am participating in a program through my university that sets me up in a high school where I will be a "teaching assistant." I get 12 credits for this which will complete my BA in English. My question is this: What are the chances that I could pick up some work after I am done with this program? I don't have a certificate. But what I'm thinking, or hoping anyway, is that a BA and some experience in Lithuania could land me some work. Is this just wishful thinking?
Cookie Monster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has been teaching within the state system in Lithuania for 9 years. Back when he started, all that was required was a University degree. As a result he was able to get a job without either a CELTA or TESOL. Last year he was told that due to new regulations he would have to get either one of these certificates or risk losing his job! The matter is still on-going.

As for private language schools, perhaps it's worth looking at but Lithuania has very small population and there aren't that many to choose from. The British council's Lithuania website has a list of most of the private language schools. Most of these are run by the American English School, who if I remember rightly want not only CELTA and degree but also 2 or 3 years experience. Can't do any harm to ask the others.

On the positive side, I suppose one advantage you'll have is actually being there. Who knows what opportunities will arise? I'm told that there is a fair bit of opportunity for private tuition there these days but mainly in Vilnius.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, theoretically, it would be really good for your prospects to actually visit schools there, but the ESL scene in the Baltics isn't that well developed..definately not as well developed as say Poland. But, if you go to the right places, like IH..they'd be the most reputable in the Baltics..they have a school in Vilnius, and they obviously require the CELTA. I'm not really aware of other schools in Vilnius itself, but some of the schools in that part of the world don't even care for the fact that you are a native speaker!
best of luck anyway..
Ibasiram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: