Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharqiya University?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

I am looking into a job at this school. I don't know yet what town it is located in; it is identified only as Sharqiya University in the Sharqiya region. I have googled the name but don't find it. Does anyone know what and where, or anything about the place? Thanks.
eslbear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharqiya region is between the coast and Nizwa - the new university is in Ibra, between Nizwa and Sur, a couple of hours at least from Muscat but a very nice area with the wahiba sands and desert camps out there, some small rugged mountains and a few fresh water wadi spots, especially wadi bani khalid, one of the more famous spots in Oman.

So, not in the big city but a pleasant place nevertheless.

eslbear
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: same Reply with quote

Thanks. If anyone knows more about the school I appreciate hearing.
thegoodprofessor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: nevermind Reply with quote

never mind what I wrote earlier. I couldn't delete it.

Last edited by thegoodprofessor on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr. English

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: ?!? Reply with quote

So what the ____? About two weeks ago I sent cover letter and resume. About a week and a half ago I telephone interviewed with one Dr. Ali Mansouri, Program Director. He seems like a good guy. He answers numerous questions I pose about program, housing, classes, town, etc.; the only thing he declines to comment on is pay, which will come via email he says. He then asks, via email after interview, for documents; I send him all: 5 letters recommendation, passport, degree/certificates. He answers and says that he has all he needs and that offer will arrive "in the coming days". A few days go by. I write and say, very politely, please send as soon as you can, as I need a little lead time to disengage from China, and my lease expires and I need to make a decision. He answers with a university form document that wants jobs and referees and education, all the things he already has with the resume and documents I have sent.

A few days ago I receive this in private mail in Omanforum:

"Hello

My name is _____________. I also have been searching online for some information regarding this university. I sent of a general inquiry to a job posting on Daves esl back in June , I briefly described my qualifications , but i did not send my CV or any references. I was only asking about location, salary ect.

Today I just received an email form a Mr. ali Mansouri offering me a job. I found this a bit strange since i had not sent my CV or had an interview.
I was/am assuming it is some sort of scam i am about to walk into so I have begun an internet search

Please email me if you have found any other information about the job or school

_________________"

Is this normal operating procedure in Oman? I had laid the delays to either general incompetence or sluggish bureaucracy, but I begin to wonder. Ramadan is 11 August, tomorrow, to 9 September. I have information about the program, but no proposed contract and no salary amount offered.

Does anyone know more about Dr. Ali Mansouri, Program Director? Would he have good reason for delaying? Does the salary amount typically have to be approved by someone above program director level?

Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ?!? Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
Is this normal operating procedure in Oman? I had laid the delays to either general incompetence or sluggish bureaucracy, but I begin to wonder. Ramadan is 11 August, tomorrow, to 9 September. I have information about the program, but no proposed contract and no salary amount offered.

Does anyone know more about Dr. Ali Mansouri, Program Director? Would he have good reason for delaying? Does the salary amount typically have to be approved by someone above program director level?

Your experience is pretty normal... can't say the same about the fellow with the offer, but who hadn't sent a CV. Of course we don't know how detailed his first letter was... and the offer was likely contingent (at least in Dr M's opinion) on receipt of the rest of the paperwork.

The reason why most employers do all of their hiring between February and June is that little or nothing gets done in July and August... and the onset of Ramadhan will further slow the wheels of any progress.

Salaries for these small college jobs are usually not a mystery... but are likely set by administration above his level or by the Ministry. If this place is new... anything is possible.

VS
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't know how to quote (tragic, isn't it!)

TheGood Professor wrote:

Not a bad place with a decent respectful staff of teachers. One of the better schools not to be confused with the il respected Ibri.

Ah, c'mon! Ibri's not exactly 'ill-respected', is it? Not judging by the threads here.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psst... see that button in the upper right corner of the post you want to reply to? It say "quote" Cool

You can delete the part of the message that you don't want to answer as long as you keep all the information inside the opening and closing [brackets].

Easy... even I can do it!!

VS
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://images.free-extras.com/pics/d/doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

Thanks, VS
machita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: job offer Reply with quote

I received a job without an interview as well...
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierogiMonster wrote:
http://images.free-extras.com/pics/d/doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

Mine is more meaningful...

NCTBA
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NCTBA,

D'OH!!!!

Regards,
John
eslbear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's IBRA not IBRI - big difference, although easily confused in spelling.

I would say not a panic about late notices - probably cv's that have been kept on file are being re-opened and contacted for hiring now. Happens all the time in my experience.

I think a new uni can be the best and worst of a Gulf experience - lots of energy and excitement and opportunity to be more closely involved in the running improvements of the program, or, if you want to just step into a smooth sailing ship, keep your head down and do just enough in a small town Oman, then it might not be ideal.

I did it once and loved it but some around me were built for negativity and predisposed to complain so they had a hard time - and tried to drag us along!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: job offer Reply with quote

machita wrote:
I received a job without an interview as well...

Better choice than Saudi... Laughing IMHO...

Are you an outdoorsy person? If you are, you may enjoy the area... but expect lots of confusion and disorganization in a new place.

But, if you are a city girl... hope you've read all of that Saudi thread to see what you think.

VS
machita

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Ibra, Oman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibra

It seems like a more laid back place, but I wonder how easy it is to meet people and go to Muscat. Does the taxi situation apply in Oman as well? The salary would be $1,000 less a month, but if it would be that much of an improvement to Saudi, I will look into it more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: