Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tesol MA Down Under

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le Petit Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Tesol MA Down Under Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm an American and am considering getting my TESOL MA in Sydney or Perth. Any suggestions? I've looked a few programs up online.
Also..I've heard that if I hold an Australian degree I might be eligible to work in the country. Is that true. If it only gets me out of the Middle East for a year or two I'll be happy.

Thanks
Insubordination

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) but now I re-read your post, I realise you want a distance course. Not sure if they do it. Others will chime in shortly, I'm sure.
anospi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing mine with Macquarie Uni, in Sydney. It can be done on campus or by distance. I'm doing the distance course, and have been very satisfied so far.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of MAs in Sydney and in Perth - live and online. If it's online, I don't think there's any special reason to restrict yourself to those two places - the weak pound means that UK MA's are relatively attractive (there are about 100 available in the UK - including Lancaster, London Uni Institute of Education, Nottingham, Aston, Leicester, London Uni King's College etc). Try to look at the content of the MAs and how they're delivered. Look up any key members of staff of the ones that take your fancy. In Macquarie - and Sydney Uni - there's a major focus on Systemic Functional Grammar - get an idea about that before you sign up.

I don't believe there is any entitlement to work in Aus if you have an MA from there - particularly an online one. I think that full-time postgrad students (ie actually living and studying in Aus) have some rights during and after the course. You can check this with the uni and/or Aus immigration. Here in NZ, most international students who complete their degrees can get a working visa to allow them to see if they can find work during the year after they graduate.
smedini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Canada and did an Masters of Applied Linguistics through the University of Southern Queensland in Toowoomba. I thought it was a great program and a good school, as well as reasonably priced. In the Gulf it's considered a "well-respected qualification". Worth giving a look, at the very least Smile

IMHO,
~smedini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: