Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gulf English School - Information needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
micmcgeough

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Gulf English School - Information needed Reply with quote

Hi

I am due to move to Kuwait this month to start work at the above school. My wife is travelling with me and will also be employed by the school. I have read very mixed reviews, most of which seem quite dated. I am looking for more up-to-date feedback on the GES.

In addition to this, I have read some very disturbing posts about people not getting their residents permit for months, if at all!
I will not be applying for ours until I return from a short trip to the UK in September. We have been informed to fly back via Bahrain to obtain the relevant visa. Is it common for people to work without a residents permit?

Any advice appreciated

M
Starfell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means you will be expected to enter Kuwait on a visit visa. It is ILLEGAL to work in Kuwait on a visit visa and you may be imprisoned and/or deported/ banned from working in Kuwait again.

GES/ATIS are owned by IPE, a company who have for 2 years been in the bad books at the Ministry of Private Education. The company has been given NO WORK VISAS for almost two years. If you come to work for them you will remain ILLEGAL for the duration of your tenure.
micmcgeough

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have read similar posts to yours in recent months. This is very concerning!

I am going on a visitors visa as I need to leave again in September to attend a wedding in the UK. I have been advised that the school will arrange for us to go to Bahrain to arrange permanent visa.

Did you work at this school?

Is there anyone who has recently worked at this school who can give recent feedback on this, and other, situations?

Regards

M
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I worked for IPE- they WILL send you to Bahrain or Dubai and YOU WILL CONTINUE to be sent there EVERY THREE MONTHS to renew your VISIT VISA.....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear from the posts here for the past year or so that you will NEVER receive a proper work/residence visa from this employer. They will NOT tell you the truth.

Only accept this job and go there if you can live with this situation. You will be illegal and yes, there could be consequences.

VS
micmcgeough

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reply

This is sounding worrying. On a visitors visa would I be able to buy/drive a car? I was in Qatar previously and the International Licence only lasted 6 weeks or so. What about joining hotels to use gym etc?

M
mideastbound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have accepted a position with this employer, and obviously I have the same concerns. I spoke with the director just two days ago over the phone and even forwarded her some of the messages on this board. She assured me that the case between IPE and the MOE has been settled and they are now able to sponsor new teachers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She could be right, but then this is what all the teachers were told for the last couple years and it was not true. I guess you will have to decide if you wish to take the risk.

Without a legal work visa, there will be no driving license... no phone... no internet hook-up at home... no buying a car. Even if you are legal, getting all of those is a long drawn out, painful, abusive process. Some people say that Saudi has the worst bureaucracy to deal with, but I don't see how they could be worse. (even Kuwaitis say the same... so it is not that they are just rude and nasty to foreigners... they are rude, nasty, disrespectful, and abusive to all humans Cool)

VS
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mideastbound wrote:
I, too, have accepted a position with this employer, and obviously I have the same concerns. I spoke with the director just two days ago over the phone and even forwarded her some of the messages on this board. She assured me that the case between IPE and the MOE has been settled and they are now able to sponsor new teachers.

MMMmm she is the same person who conveniently 'forgot' that she had promised a grade three overseas teacher a flight home this year....and also who promised to pay the fine of a grade 2 teacher who was without a visa because IPE held her passport fo three months, and then left her to pay the 450KD fine, and face the police alone.....and who HID 20 teachers in a classroom in May when the Ministry of Education made an unannounced visit....
She is misleading you, but as Veiled put it, if you are prepared to work under the threat of arrest for 10 months, drive on a visit visa, repeatedly ( and attract attention)- go for it.

BTW the ''we have sorted out our problems with the MOE and can now get visas'' is the same speech teachers have been getting for at least two years.
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- one teacher had to return home mid year as she discovered she had cancer and couldn't get treatment ( which WOULD be available) because she was on a visit visa......still after 6 months.

Call the director and ask them if they forwarded this teacher her outstanding sick pay and indemnity accrued......
bje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Some people say that Saudi has the worst bureaucracy to deal with, but I don't see how they could be worse. (even Kuwaitis say the same... so it is not that they are just rude and nasty to foreigners... they are rude, nasty, disrespectful, and abusive to all humans Cool)

VS

IMO, observing/encountering the above tendency is the worst aspect of living in Kuwait. Add to that a bad employer (and there are many), and one can be in for a very demoralising time.
micmcgeough

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mideastbound, could you pm me? I have not sent enough posts to be able to pm people.

Cheers

M
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have 5 posts to send or receive PMs. So... you need only respond to me and you are all set.

So are you two actually going to go with this gang and be our guinea pigs for this year to see if they are continuing to lie to everyone? Cool

VS
micmcgeough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am going to experience it with my wife. I understand all that is being said, but am taking them on face value. I may very well be proven wrong by doing so. However, why not give it a try anyway!
Job situation in Scotland, where I live, is shocking so I am happy to be working!

M
Starfell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Well enjoy, promise not to say I told you so, too loudly- the following people should not be believed btw:

Hayam
Mona
Nadia
The accountant who hands out salaries- spiteful little toe rag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: