Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haiti
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, excuse me bnix, much as i admire your postings, I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as a "regulated field", appearances to the contrary. Remember Enron and Arthur Andersen. That was in the accounting profession.

Now, can anyone help me? I'm looking for work as a gym teacher in Haiti.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Regulated Fields Reply with quote

Khmerhit is correct,and gives a good example(the accounting field).However, I meant "regulated field" in the sense of regulating who gets in...such as doctors,for instance..they have to haveto have med training,and of course there are always more applicants to med schools than there are vacancies in med schools.TESOL may be marginally regulated through expecting some qualifications in this way,but it is largely unregulated.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, yes, entry is not regulated at every level as it is in the professions, including the teaching profession. This probalby won't change as long as demand for instructors so far outstrips supply. But i guess if i wanted to go up the food chain, i would have to submit to industry requirements regarding qualifications-- ie get the Delta, a B.Ed (oh, hey, i just got one), MA etc etc. Ho hum.

I dont know much about the history of medicine, but i think there was a time when that was a largely unregulated profession, too. Were'nt they barbers?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone teaching ESL in Haiti during the protracted coup?
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: ESL in Haiti Reply with quote

Jason of the Congo may well be on his way there now (see the Africa forum)!
opo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: haiti Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Well since smart@sses like me are in such a small minority in the EFL world, yes. The average wannabe EFL teacher, it seems, needs basic warnings about places not to think about going to. Haiti is one such destination. As is Zaire.

What's wrong with insulting people anyway ? You think the world out there is full of touchy-feely types who really love everyone - especially Americans ?

The universe is hostile, kid.

Well scott I agree the world is not full of touchy feely people but don't forget when you first started. It's a good thing to let people know what a country is like and I'm sure no matter how insulting people may find you atleast they may think before asking stupid questions but shit what does that have to do with America?
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: haiti Reply with quote

You could go there now and help rebuild.
cassava

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Love Potion Number Nine Reply with quote

bnix wrote:
As Scot implies...probably not much action on the TESOL scene in Haiti.However,there may be a few openings for voodoo priests and priestesses.Qualifications?Who needs QUALIFICATIONS??? Why, ANYONE can do that! Laughing

This is the kind of racist rant that often flows from so many of the ignoramuses currently teaching EFL. Their view of many countries is based on half-truths and the kind of bigoted exaggerations that the members of their media consider as journalism.

What is wrong with teaching in Haiti? Absolutely nothing. I have taught in Haiti and found it to be a wonderful country with a fascinating history. In fact, the current Canadian Governor General was born in Haiti.

The kind of crude, naive and moronic opinions of many of the teflers posting on this topic simply reveal their ignorance. I doubt that any of these clowns have ever even heard of Toussaint L'Ouverture or Henri Christophe.

Many of the people of Haiti speak both English and French. If they need teachers, they certainly would not want anything to do with a bunch of prejudiced imbeciles masquerading as language teachers.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray, last poster, for painting the kettle black. Ahem. Yes, the other posters were a bit rabid in their views. Stupid jokes pretending to be sophisticated humor re:voodooism and the like.
VikingElvis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I saw an interesting posting for a volunteer position in Haiti:

http://www.idealist.org/view/job/JF8m2nzHHjjd/

In case people have been embarrassed out of seriously asking about Haiti due to how cynical the initial post was.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope that people are mature enough not to be influenced by the foolishness of the original poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: