Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where and when for teaching English in primary/elementary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumpytaco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: where and when for teaching English in primary/elementary Reply with quote

Hi,

From what I've seen online, the best time of year to find work in a school is Dec/Jan/Feb but I won't be available until July or August 2011. Would I have a hard time finding work in Aug/July?

I prefer working in a school teaching children rather than a language center teaching adults. I am willing to sign a year's contract. I do have a BA, MA (not in education) and a TEFL certificate as well as a couple years teaching experience.

So is it crazy to show up in July or August and hope to get work in a school?

So far I don't have any preference on which part of Costa Rica. I do think I would prefer something more rural than San Jose. Any suggestions for smaller cities that have a lot of work in schools?

Thanks so much for any tips or advice!
I Rub Ruchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a coworker that got employed in August by faxing (not email) his resume to all schools in the Central Valley and got two offers in the month of July.

It seems that lots of teachers quit during the short winter vacation (yes, July is winter according to the Ticos) and they need emergency replacements.

Rural Costa Rica may not have many employment opportunities. Plenty charity projects expect the teachers to pay for the opportunity to teach in CR.

Language schools are always looking for teachers to work evening classes in the Central Valley.

Dec/Jan/Feb might be the best time to look for work but if you are connected and put effort, then you might have luck.

Contracts don't mean too much in CR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: