Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Cairo for British council
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sahmed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Working in Cairo for British council Reply with quote

I just completed my CELTA and have had little EFL experience although I have had secondary school experience. I am going to be interviewed for a job advertised by British Council Cairo

Teachers with under 2 years experience - Cairo
http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-teachingjobs.htm

I want the job and I think it�s good for me, but my two concerns are
1) Pay- only 7000LE a month for 1st 6 months without accommodation.
2) Contract length of 2 years � if things aren�t as I hoped, it will be daunting to see the contract through till the end.

I would like some advice on the above points, and if anyone has any views about the institution then please share.

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council has a good reputation and the Cairo branch has a CELTA program too. People that I have talked to who took it there lately liked the people and the program.

It is not a huge amount of money, but you can live on it. I assume that if you pass muster, they will raise the pay/benefit package for the rest of the contract? And I assume that if you hate it, there is a clause that lets you out without too much pain. Laughing

Cairo is a real experience and it was my first overseas post getting an MA at AUC. I loved it!! I think this is a great opportunity for you. The students will be great because they are paying... and thus are serious about studying English to further their careers.

Go for it!!

VS
sahmed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
After the first 6 months they pay about 10,000LE/month for the next 1 and so years

From what you are saying it sounds like there is a good supportive team out there who will take your concerns into considerations.

For me that is most important. Now I can go for the interview with all my heart.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you how fast I would jump at this opportunity if I were British. This is a dream, to get on with the BC for your first job out of the gate.
nstick13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Take this and love it. You'll have great students, an excellent support system and knowledgeable co-teachers. And, I really enjoyed the building in which BC resides. You must've done quite well at the CELTA.

In Cairo, 7,000 LE is plenty to live on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sahmed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for your advice, i preferred egypt for the culture and training, but I had to decline this placement. I had another odd interview in saudi embassy yesterday, I told them I wanted to work with the BC, but they insisted and formalised a contract for their job on the spot, and sorted out the visa there and then. It was done so quickly, they never even asked me to sign anything they just gave me a photocopy of their contract.

Then I realised that they gave officially me the job. Now I have to put my trust in God and hope for he best.

I only took it cos the job came from an established CELTA training institution from my area and they assured me that it was all legitimate and is not an opportunity to be missed.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sahmed wrote:
I had another odd interview in saudi embassy yesterday, I told them I wanted to work with the BC, but they insisted and formalised a contract for their job on the spot, and sorted out the visa there and then. It was done so quickly, they never even asked me to sign anything they just gave me a photocopy of their contract.

I have to say that this sounds not only illegal, but highly dangerous. Who are these people who apparently kidnapped you and forced you to sign some contract?

I would be running away from this as fast as possible!!

Seriously!! Once you are in Saudi, you are their captive and can't leave!! There are some very scary threads on the Saudi section about these places. And they seem to be most abusive with their fellow Muslims!!

VS
elrasho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have had an opportunity like this! I'm going to the BC in Cairo later this year to do the CELTA, cant wait! Smile
AsmaInEgypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with veiledsentiments! What has come of this?
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They asked you to commit to 2 years?

What's the deal? I notice on the BC website that it says we offer one or two year contracts?

Do you miss out on some benefits if you only sign up for a year?

I'm a bit surprised that the BC in Cairo seems to advertise so often. Why is that?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounded like a program for new CELTA graduates... a kind of internship. I wonder if the OP is still around.

As to teacher turnover... BC in Cairo has a lot of students passing through its programs so it is a good sized program. I've never picked up any negatives about working there. (other than the common beefs about BC's sometimes cliquish managements) Cairo expats do tend to be a transient group... teach a year or two and move on to better pay and benefits in the Gulf, I suspect. Cool

Jobs in the Middle East are commonly 2-3 year contracts because of the costs of bringing in new teachers and providing work visas.

VS
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad on the BC site says

"We offer contracts for 12 or 24 months starting in November."

That's for teachers with two years of experience. There was a different ad a while back for teachers with a minimum one year of experience year.

I thought BC contracts were always 2 years..curious why Egypt is different. Never heard of any other centre offering any kind of internship either...

Surely the BC can't have a hard time attracting teachers in Egypt do they??
nstick13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing something about an internship type program from time-to-time at BC for recent CELTA recipients, but I blocked it out because it wasn't possible for me.

Great opportunity there, some good veteran teachers and friendly people who will be happy to help. Can't believe it's been a year already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt that the offering of a one year contract is evidence of problems.

VS
Hannah_M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Internship Reply with quote

I understand it is a regular thing. I've just interviewed for the same programme, 1 year later. They always start with the September term. Good to hear so many nice things about the place!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: