Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Spiral, you are counting the cash. But I am counting the babage. Can't have these pesky N.A.s coming over to the Eastern Bloc stealing our jobs and women!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! North American TEFL teachers lost their automatic chick magnet status about 10 years ago. Don't count Czech chicks as less sophisticated than Moscovites in this realm!! They know what standard of living (and dating) a newbie English teacher can offer these days.

The Women of the Former Bloc are safe enough Cool
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see! The plot is working!! Urrraaa!!!!
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Ok, I've just scanned your other recent posts in other forums, eclectic, and it's clear that you've got a bone to pick. However, spilling it over to newbies in country-specific forums isn't kosher. What do you aim to do with this? Make US citizens scared/worried? Fan anti Americanism further? Scare the newbies? Are you suggesting they should stay home? What?

I suggest you don't continue to spread these seeds of fear and anger in the country-specific boards, regardless of your personal slant on things.

It's tough enough in this European job market for newbies in general, and non-EU ones in particular, without fear-mongering on top of it.

Keep in mind that Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians face exactly the same hiring barriers that US citizens do. It's not targeted.

glad you picked up on this - i read it in a sort of bewildered amazement yesterday

as i said earlier, economic conditions have become less favourable on the British Isles, and a knock-on effect i seemed to notice was more young Brits and Irish coming here, thus squeezing the non-EUs out to a small extent... nothing to do with "Anti-American sentiment"
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr tree wrote:
spiral78 wrote:
Ok, I've just scanned your other recent posts in other forums, eclectic, and it's clear that you've got a bone to pick. However, spilling it over to newbies in country-specific forums isn't kosher. What do you aim to do with this? Make US citizens scared/worried? Fan anti Americanism further? Scare the newbies? Are you suggesting they should stay home? What?

I suggest you don't continue to spread these seeds of fear and anger in the country-specific boards, regardless of your personal slant on things.

It's tough enough in this European job market for newbies in general, and non-EU ones in particular, without fear-mongering on top of it.

Keep in mind that Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians face exactly the same hiring barriers that US citizens do. It's not targeted.

glad you picked up on this - i read it in a sort of bewildered amazement yesterday

as i said earlier, economic conditions have become less favourable on the British Isles, and a knock-on effect i seemed to notice was more young Brits and Irish coming here, thus squeezing the non-EUs out to a small extent... nothing to do with "Anti-American sentiment"

Agreed. That this thread became a platform for a political rant was never the intention. the term "non-EU" has everything to do with paperwork and nothing to do with politics.

If the OP is still out there, the point is: you can follow all of the good advice offered by spiral and mr tree, do everything right and still not get a job. its really a crap shoot. you might get lucky, you might not. And the odds are not particularly skewed in your favour.

for some people thats enough. if you can handle the monetary risk involved in not getting a job in under 3 months, then its an option. A lot of people who didnt get jobs or got deported for visa issues still enjoyed their stays (especially when mum and dad are paying).

but there are no guaranteed jobs anymore. anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is just trying to sell you their TEFL course.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OP is still out there, the point is: you can follow all of the good advice offered by spiral and mr tree, do everything right and still not get a job.

I totally agree with this (in case I was less-than-clear before).
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithryansmith wrote:
mr tree wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

Agreed. That this thread became a platform for a political rant was never the intention. the term "non-EU" has everything to do with paperwork and nothing to do with politics.

If the OP is still out there, the point is: you can follow all of the good advice offered by spiral and mr tree, do everything right and still not get a job. its really a crap shoot. you might get lucky, you might not. And the odds are not particularly skewed in your favour.

for some people thats enough. if you can handle the monetary risk involved in not getting a job in under 3 months, then its an option. A lot of people who didnt get jobs or got deported for visa issues still enjoyed their stays (especially when mum and dad are paying).

but there are no guaranteed jobs anymore. anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is just trying to sell you their TEFL course.

It's a risk. I would take that money and travel with it, and it might go farther. But I would never regret spending time/money in Prague.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my earlier post....Yes, as others have pointed out, EU candidates for the jobs going in January are likely to get priority over you, and it is possible that you won't be able to find a job. You can only give it a try and hope you will get lucky, realistically.

Yeah, I did say it earlier...
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess who's back.

I hear this all of the time about the economic situation and it is true. Things are for sure harder to do now than they were 5+ years ago. Back in the day, as long as you were somewhat of a decent teacher and actually sent CVs off to schools you'd be fine.

It's harder now. Plain and simple.

However, the majority of people that put the effort in, get trained well, work on their teaching technique as well as make a real effort to find work and go on interviews do fine.

You have to hustle and you have to make sure you have extra savings to cover you during the months when you are building up hours.

If you can do that, you'll probably do fine.

Think of it this way. If you don't try, it will never happen.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Westergaard wrote:
Guess who's back.

I hear this all of the time about the economic situation and it is true. Things are for sure harder to do now than they were 5+ years ago. Back in the day, as long as you were somewhat of a decent teacher and actually sent CVs off to schools you'd be fine.

It's harder now. Plain and simple.

However, the majority of people that put the effort in, get trained well, work on their teaching technique as well as make a real effort to find work and go on interviews do fine.

You have to hustle and you have to make sure you have extra savings to cover you during the months when you are building up hours.

If you can do that, you'll probably do fine.

Think of it this way. If you don't try, it will never happen

Bingo. Prague is on my bucket list. But I might wait to do it (maybe I can do Korea first) and go with significant savings in my pocket.

During the summer "holiday" I could backpack the rest of Europe that I've wanted to see for so long.

I'll need to think about it, as it's a greater risk than, say, S. Korea. But Prague is still at the very top of my list.

Man, I've been so back and forth the past few weeks.
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: My 2 cents... Reply with quote

I want to point out to the O.P. that the perspectives of 'smithryansmith' , 'mr tree' and 'spiral78' are shamefully pessimistic ("you MUST be an EU member", or "you must have a CELTA.."). Rubbish comments by both on this thread.

I happen to know many N. Americans living and working presently in Prague, TEFL or TESOL certified, and doing just fine, thanks. There's always room for one more, and the local teacher-training schools are placing graduates as they have been for years and years. The teacher having a CELTA in this town is the rare exception to the rule.

And please--stop with the crap about folks "going into debt" living in Prague! Its MUCH more affordable than any major U.S. city--be it living in shared accomodation or a studio, one bedroom, etc.

MOD EDIT

Further: you can get a flat of your own if you move here. Being an ESL teacher in Prague doesn't have to mean living in a quasi student barracks with a bunch of *beep* roommates. I lived on my own for 2 years there and did fine, no problems. Preferred it that way. Having roommates might have been fun back in university, but not now.

While teaching in Prague for one of the larger schools there was often Czech clients who specifically requested Americans. They prefer the American accent to the British, simply put. Czechs often find the British accent difficult to understand. Not stirring up the pot here, just the facts plain and simple. Because of this Americans are often preferred over Brits by the corporates in Prague who drive the ESL market.

In short: get a TESOL or TEFL certificate to top off your Bachelors, preferably in Prague. Takes a month or so. Research the schools, contact them, give them your CV and pound the pavement. Maybe you'll make it...maybe you won't. But like another poster to this thread said, you won't know if you don't just jump in and give it a go. Life won't happen without taking calculated risk. Just go for it, and good luck!
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the students that we have at The Language House are Americans and most find jobs without too many problems. That means 'Most' and it means that they have to be willing to put in the work to finding a job and they have to graduate knowing their stuff. If they can do this, then they are fine.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the students that we have at The Language House are Americans and most find jobs without too many problems. That means 'Most' and it means that they have to be willing to put in the work to finding a job and they have to graduate knowing their stuff. If they can do this, then they are fine.

I've got absolutely no quarrel with this, and didn't mean to come across as overly negative. I agree with Chris that if people are willing to get properly qualified, put in the work it takes to get a first job, and have considered timing, they are likely to be ok.

I think it's important to note that a job isn't a given (literally or figuratively) and to plan and be sure backup is available in the sense of enough funds to support onesself and to get home if need be. However, going to Prague with realistic expectations, it's likely to be a worthwhile risk.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

I've got absolutely no quarrel with this, and didn't mean to come across as overly negative. I agree with Chris that if people are willing to get properly qualified, put in the work it takes to get a first job, and have considered timing, they are likely to be ok.

I think it's important to note that a job isn't a given (literally or figuratively) and to plan and be sure backup is available in the sense of enough funds to support onesself and to get home if need be. However, going to Prague with realistic expectations, it's likely to be a worthwhile risk.

I agree with you completely and it's the right to say that nothing is a given anymore. The market has changed and TEFL courses and TEFL graduates both have to work harder if they want to secure work in the city
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stay on topic and address the message and not the messenger.

If not, there will be sanctions as this thread is informative and opinions offered within our rules are welcome. This is true even if they happen not to be to your personal liking.

Members are requested to bring any posting not in conformance with this warning to the attention of the Mod Team by Report Post or PM as soon as possible.

We will deal with the issue very quickly

This will not be a surprise to many here.Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: