Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL certificate useful for Filipinos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarahgregorio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: TESOL certificate useful for Filipinos? Reply with quote

Teachers of English should be both proficient in the language and qualified to teach by undergoing certain trainings and certifications. It's a fact. But given the following circumstances, is it really useful for a Filipino English teacher to get a TESOL certification?

1. TESOL certifications are a little pricey in the Philippines. Most run for 30K-40K, which is understandable because these are given by foreign institutions. In contrast, the average Filipino only gets 8k a month. I did my university schooling in the number one university here for 10k for a year, and I could get a Masteral degree for the same price as a certificate.

2. Most ESL schools do not require TESOL certifications. It certainly is an advantage but not a requirement. Most of the time, they just need someone proficient in English and with teaching experience. So far, I only saw this as a requirement in an online English center catering to European students. I am not even so sure if this will affect your position or salary range in comparison with colleagues without such qualification.

2. Many Filipinos have masters degree in English or Education. Aside from international training, what competitive edge can a certification have versus someone with a Masteral's degree or Bachelor's degree?

So far, the greatest benefit that I could see from getting a TESOL certificate is that you're ahead of your peers and you could use it to enter teacher training.

Anyone can share their views on this?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you plan to teach in the PI at one of the language institutes focusing on the Japanese or Koreans a TESOL certification won't do anything for you.

The only Filipinos I know of who are teaching abroad (I know many and work with several) have either teacher certification (DEPED) from the PI or have their B.Ed and a Masters or the B.Ed and classroom experience.

You would be far better off getting a B.Ed with a minor in English than you would be getting a TESOL cert (and it would cost you less).

As a second related issue, most countries (like Korea or Thailand as examples) REQUIRE that teachers who are not native English speakers (from one of the big 5) have their B.Ed or BA in English and actual classroom experience before they are issued a work visa or work permit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: