Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living and working in portugal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Living and working in portugal Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING! about living and working in portugal and specifically the Cascais area -I would be grateful for any infomation!
Thanks
queenkp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cascais is pretty slim with regards to schools. There's a British Council and a couple of very small places, but keep in mind most people in Cascais speak English already. There are some schools on the Lisbon-Cascais train line (Speakwell, British Council) but don't expect to secure a position before coming. The people I know (myself included) who have had jobs prior to coming have been personal referrals from former or current teachers at a particular school.

Living here is fantastic - it's 27 and sunny as I type this - and it's completely worth the headaches of sorting everything when you come. It's not easy at all - bureaucracy is ridiculous and finding accommodation is really difficult - but if you want to make it work you can. Just know that nobody's going to hold your hand when you move here.
cait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your message queen kp. I have secured a job in the Cascais area but I do not have a clue where to start looking for accommodation. Is there any chance say of getting accommodation before you arrive or is it more a situation where you'd have to start looking once you arrive? where is the best place to start?- newspapers? Thanks,.
queenkp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the job! Accom changes, depending on where you are. In Cascais, or Estoril, or where? There are universities and cafes in Lisbon where accom. info is posted on bulletin boards, etc, but it's a bit more difficult in Cascais (and much more expensive). If you live alone, plan on 600-800/month, and to share usually runs 300-450. Estate agents love to get their hands on foreigners, though you can't sign a contract unless you are an EU citizen, so that can get tricky; they do have fab places though. Most places want a deposit too, so make sure you come with 1000 or so available before you move in. Depending on when you arrive, pensions should be reasonable; June and early July will skyrocket due to Euro2004.

Hope this helps! Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: