Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Malaysia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROKEXPAT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Malaysia Reply with quote

I've been working in Korea since 98. and I'm considering uprooting my life, my dog, and my girlfriend to other parts undiscovered. We are both on the verge of 40. my dog, he's getting up there too.

any expats with long term living experience in Malaysia would be most welcome for any and all advice on moving stuff, finding lodgings, job prospects, either in esl or other areas, my gal is a certified personal trainer, and i, well... i've got musical skills. Ah, she also has a masters degree, and i a TESOL certificate. We're considering CELTA too.

also, any expats who've had experience in Korea who've since moved to greener pastures in other parts unknown, in the Asian kingdom, I'd love to hear your thoughts and advice.

I got myself rooted in Korea, and have often found it hard to "break free". gentle and helpful prodding would be much appreciated.

* forgive the lack of proper caps and such, i'm on my belly as i type this.

Cheers.
oh, i almost forgot, I'm canuckian and my gal is american.[/b]
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Malaysia Reply with quote

ROKEXPAT wrote:
also, any expats who've had experience in Korea who've since moved to greener pastures in other parts unknown, in the Asian kingdom, I'd love to hear your thoughts and advice.

oh, i almost forgot, I'm canuckian and my gal is american.[/b]

We have a couple of things in common - I was in Korea in 1998 and my wife is American. We met in Korea - worked on the EPIK programme for two years in Cholla/Mokpo area (97-99), then moved to HK. Still here.

Not sure I can give much advice, except to say that anywhere after Korea is a shock. Whether that shock is good or bad depends on how much you like Korea (stating the obvious perhaps!).

Initially I hated HK - after Korea it was too fast, too hot and humid, a bit boring, too westernised, too much like being back in the rat race. It was also much harder work. And perhaps the biggest downer of all for me - and which will certainly apply if you head south - was that I missed Korea's seasons. All of these things still apply - it's just that I've become more used to them.

Do I regret leaving Korea? A little. I sometimes wish we'd spent a year or two in Seoul. Having said that, we were getting a bit jaded with life there and the girlfriend (as she was then) was offered a great job in HK, so it seemed the obvious thing to do. And I've ended up doing OK here too.

Still, if I'd been in Korea since 98 I'd say yes, probably a good time to move on and see somewhere else. You can always go back. We're going back at new year - for the 7th time since we left!
KayuJati

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROKEXPAT

I have been 15 years in Malaysia so you can ask away....

Your girlfriend should be able to get work in one of the larger cities (Kuala Lumpur, Johor Baru, Penang) with her qualifications as a personal trainer. There are different fitness centres that hire trainers although I doubt that the salaries are that high. Those mentioned cities would also have the larger job pools for TESL work.

Malaysia is FULL of Koreans now, especially KL and Penang, so you can still have your dose of Korean culture!
ROKEXPAT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla, thanks for that kind and helpful bit of wisdom. I finished my last EPIK year in Feb this year. They weren't to happy I didn't renew the contract, so I think its become a bit of a black mark. I was in Korea till July trying to find work and no success. I came home in hopes to get a new gig lined up from here. Its been two months. The girlfriend found an opportunity in Malaysia that is both challenging, stimulating and rewarding. We've applied together obviously.We'll see how it pans out I guess. Might need to get a CELTA first and I still have an apartment and car in Korea to unload before anything solid can be done.

I've been jaded many times in Korea. The current market of teachers is making it really hard to get a job. With not much to fall back on its a bit daunting to pick up and move but your post puts a fresh perspective on it for me..thanks
ROKEXPAT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayujati, Thanks for the info on personal training. As I mentioned in the previous reply. We found a job offer for 2011 that could be good for both of us. If it works out we may take it.

Since you offered I'll ask.

1. I have an 11 year old cocker spaniel, how easy/difficult is it to move a pet into Malaysia. I found some useful info on the web, but maybe you have first hand knowledge or friends of friends kind of info.

2. Korean people are really nice people when you get to know them. Collectively, they have gotten under my skin. I'm allergic to group think. What is the environment like in Malaysia? (sorry if this question sounds a tad uncooth, I'm not good with the PC talk)

3. Housing arrangements. What are they like? costs? size? quality?

4. Work life. What is the work culture like in Malaysia? Is it relaxed?stressful? fast paced?

5. Amenities? Are there places to get those creature comforts or guilty pleasures from ones own country?

6. this may not be the last question. If I think of more, I will for sure ask. My girlfriend and I are both distributors in Direct sales businesses. What is the climate for entrepreneurial mindset. Could one be able to maintain work in a regular manner (9-5) and be free to work in an independent business of their own. Also, could you provide links for immigration rules and regs and such?

cheers
kotoko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

Although I don't live in Malaysia, I just came back from traveling there so maybe I can help with what the "situation" is like there. Malaysian people are generally nice but they did get on my nerves a little. The place I stayed at had a buffet dinner evey night and they were very focused on getting their food without thinking of those around them. Their common sense was also very different to what I'd expect from other people. Saying that, they do not mean to be rude, it's just a difference in cultures. If you told them that you were offended by their attitude or actions, they'd be sad that they made you feel like that.

On the whole, I did like Malaysia though. KL was very busy and driving around there didn't seem like so much fun, but I guess you get that in any country.

Hope that helps Smile
KayuJati

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROKEXPAT wrote:
Kayujati, Thanks for the info on personal training. As I mentioned in the previous reply. We found a job offer for 2011 that could be good for both of us. If it works out we may take it.

Since you offered I'll ask.

1. I have an 11 year old cocker spaniel, how easy/difficult is it to move a pet into Malaysia. I found some useful info on the web, but maybe you have first hand knowledge or friends of friends kind of info.

There are two online Malaysia forums that I would love to provide links to, but this forum does not allow links to other sites. Do a google search on "alloexpat malaysia forums" and you will find one site that has a wealth of information including some on animals and the quarantine requirements. I do not know of anyone personally who has brought a pet into the country.

You can also search for "my2home mm2h forum" and find more discussion groups about life in Malaysia.

Quote:
2. Korean people are really nice people when you get to know them. Collectively, they have gotten under my skin. I'm allergic to group think. What is the environment like in Malaysia? (sorry if this question sounds a tad uncooth, I'm not good with the PC talk)

The Koreans I have met have been fairly decent. Some like to live together, however, in expat ghettos, which I find a bit strange.

Malaysians pretty much have a "live-and-let-live" attitude provided you respect their religious beliefs and remember that you are a guest in the country. They are not that keen on knowing what we think about their politics and etc., so best to keep opinions to yourself.

For example, you should not presume that a Malay woman will shake your hand, so do not extend it until she does first.

Quote:
3. Housing arrangements. What are they like? costs? size? quality?

Link houses are small- to mid-size: 2-4 bedroom, 2-3 toilets, dry kitchen, wet kitchen, but no closets (they use wardrobes here). Grills on all windows and doors. Quality runs the entire range, from rundown to brand new. Semi-detached and bungalow houses can be quite larger and much more expensive to rent or buy.

Quote:
4. Work life. What is the work culture like in Malaysia? Is it relaxed?stressful? fast paced?

Depends upon who owns the business. If a public or private school (but of a certain race), it is pretty laid back. Do your job; keep your opinions to yourself; and you should get along alright. Private for-profit and tuition centres, especially if owned by a certain race that worships a god of money, then you better be ready to work hard and long and not expect to be patted on the back. I worked for one of those for 4 years, and saw the CEO a total of 3 times in those years. He didn't want faces attached to names; it made it easier to retrench (fire) people.

Quote:
5. Amenities? Are there places to get those creature comforts or guilty pleasures from ones own country?

Hmmm, what doesn't Malaysia have?? Snowmachine suits....no snow machine suits. They DO have ice hockey in a couple of malls, however.

Quote:
6. this may not be the last question. If I think of more, I will for sure ask. My girlfriend and I are both distributors in Direct sales busin
esses. What is the climate for entrepreneurial mindset. Could one be able to maintain work in a regular manner (9-5) and be free to work in an independent business of their own. Also, could you provide links for immigration rules and regs and such?

A bunch of my colleagues run MLM businesses, not a problem with that or any other type that doesn't have a visible presence. Just keep things low key and realise that you will have no recourse if someone doesn't pay.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Malaysia is FULL of Koreans now, especially KL and Penang, so you can still have your dose of Korean culture!

2 points:

as to the "full" depiction, I am now rather depressed. as to the prospect of a "dose" of that stuff, I am now rather near upchucking. And yet this little tad of info has allowed me ahead of time to arrange to utterly plan evasive action at all costs..... Smile
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
Quote:

2 points:

as to the "full" depiction, I am now rather depressed. as to the prospect of a "dose" of that stuff, I am now rather near upchucking. And yet this little tad of info has allowed me ahead of time to arrange to utterly plan evasive action at all costs..... Smile

Is Malaysia off then?
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
eclectic wrote:
Quote:

2 points:

Is Malaysia off then?

I think that what eclectic means is that he will avoid Korean ghettos in Malaysia. This shouldn't be too hard to do. Just put your nose in the air and smell the kimchi. Once you locate, go in the opposite direction.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at Kayujati:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

........OR WHAT ABOUT SNIFFING FOR THAT BEAUTIFUL, EXHILARATING SCENT OF BEAN-PASTE SOUP????????? NOTHING BEATS IT! (and they told me they couldnt stand the mouth-watering aroma of that wonderful Hyderabad-style chicken curry my wife makes!!!!!!! talk about getting something bass-ackwards).
eclectic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Kayu, just a bit more........

BBBBBBBB
IIIIIIIIIIII
NNNNNNNN
GGGGGGG
OOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

.........at HOD: NO MALAYSIA IS NOT OUT, AS KAYU HAS JUST SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR ME. Very Happy
ROKEXPAT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayu...

i'm finding myself resisting returning to korea. I know what i'm getting into when i accept a job, and its not appealing, hence my interest in malaysia. i found the malaysia forum quite useful.

in Korea, most jobs are 30 hours a week, ballpark... what are the kinds of hours are there say, between private after school classes vs public schools.

you've been there a long time, when I arrived in Korea i was open to a lot of new things and adapted pretty good, over the years i've grown a bit jaded i suppose. moving to a new country like malaysia, i would be just as wide eyed as i was when i arrived in korea.

my girlfriend is keen on trying it out, first getting CELTA's then moving on down there. i'm probably just second guessing myself.

oh i just thought of something i'd like to know. female dress codes, in public, in the work place. are there any kinds of guidelines?
KayuJati

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROKEXPAT wrote:
Kayu...

i'm finding myself resisting returning to korea. I know what i'm getting into when i accept a job, and its not appealing, hence my interest in malaysia. i found the malaysia forum quite useful.

in Korea, most jobs are 30 hours a week, ballpark... what are the kinds of hours are there say, between private after school classes vs public schools.

It depends upon the school and location. In KL, the private college where I worked required that I be in the office only 25 hours per week. I had only 12-16 hours of class per week, so it was quite nice. We had Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays off (all Lab classes were on Thursday, and I had none). Several colleagues were working at 1 or 2 OTHER colleges, pulling down 2-3 fulltime salaries. Of course, one must be good at negotiating to pull this off.

At my present college, work hours are 40 per week, with 16-20 classroom hours the norm.

Quote:
you've been there a long time, when I arrived in Korea i was open to a lot of new things and adapted pretty good, over the years i've grown a bit jaded i suppose. moving to a new country like malaysia, i would be just as wide eyed as i was when i arrived in korea.

my girlfriend is keen on trying it out, first getting CELTA's then moving on down there. i'm probably just second guessing myself.

oh i just thought of something i'd like to know. female dress codes, in public, in the work place. are there any kinds of guidelines?

I spent a year in mainland China (Tianjin) and, thus, that is my reference to the difference between Malaysia and NE Asia. If one ignores the local politics, then Malaysia is fairly stress-free.

Malay women and business women dress conservatively; in KL and Penang, you will see foreign women and some locals (young Chinese) dressing a bit more freely. If I were a western woman, I would dress conservatively so as not to draw attention to myself. Why attract the attentions of men who think that you are "loose" by their interpretation of your dress? Basically, avoid short shorts, spaghetti strap blouses, and see-through fabric.

I should link you to some photos; a lot of young Malay women wear tight jeans, and then a head scarf. Seems to negate the reason for the scarf, eh?
kotoko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayu..

What kind of qualifictions would one need to get a college job like that? Is it strict over there or would a non-masters person be able to get a decent job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: