Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you teach English in Thailand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why do you teach English in Thailand?
1) Good pay, great working conditions.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
2) Has to do with members of the opposite sex (or even same sex or sort of same sex since, afterall, it is Thailand)
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
3) Met wife or girlfriend here, have to stay to be with him/her.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
4) I am a retiree living on a pension and Thailand is a cheap place to live.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5) I heard about it as being a great tropical paradise with many interesting things to see and do
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) I took a TEFL or CELTA or TESOL course there and I work here since I was already here anyway
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
7) Its a great way to get some entry-level experience teaching
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
8) Just passing through, its a good way to make some extra cash on the way to another place
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
9) other reason not listed here.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

pest2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Why do you teach English in Thailand? Reply with quote

Just curious. Answer with the main reason you teach here (we assume you likely came for more than one, but with reason is most prevalent).
NigerianWhisper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

Not really. Maybe the other voter, along with myself, work at a Brit curriculum school with a great ex-pat package.

Lets face it, if you make enough money to enjoy a good life-style AND put some dosh in the bank as well....................then this is a fantastic country.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make 60k baht per, have a nice-3 bedroom house, do a 40 hour week and get just about 4 calendar months per year off with pay (annual vacation) + all recognized national holidays.

Why not say nice job and benefits. The only thing I would like more would be a shorter drive to the beaches (currently about 3.5 hours).

There is more to Thailand that just an extended vacation or hanging out for the ladies. My wife isn't Thai either.

pest2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
I make 60k baht per, have a nice-3 bedroom house, do a 40 hour week and get just about 4 calendar months per year off with pay (annual vacation) + all recognized national holidays.

Why not say nice job and benefits. The only thing I would like more would be a shorter drive to the beaches (currently about 3.5 hours).

There is more to Thailand that just an extended vacation or hanging out for the ladies. My wife isn't Thai either.

whatever.

I wonder why more people haven't voted?
NigerianWhisper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pest2 wrote:

whatever.

Probably because:

a) The questions did not encompass all the types of posters on this forum

b) They can't be bothered. Their experiences are obviously not the same as yours

c) The higher earners move in different circles. This is a predominately ESL/EFL forum. The qualified teachers (all subjects or subject specific) will not come to this board looking for advice............because it is only ESL/EFL
warda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd call it "a great way" to get entry level experience, but it is the first step for me. Right now I need experience towards a MA/MEd and/or a plan to get state certified. The year at a language institute will hopefully give me better direction for my career, but it's not an environment I want to be in for the long haul. Thailand, on the other hand, is a nice backdrop. It'd be nice to come back and visit (read spend some savings!) once I get where I want to be. Smile
pest2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigerianWhisper wrote:
pest2 wrote:

whatever.

Probably because:

a) The questions did not encompass all the types of posters on this forum

b) They can't be bothered. Their experiences are obviously not the same as yours

c) The higher earners move in different circles. This is a predominately ESL/EFL forum. The qualified teachers (all subjects or subject specific) will not come to this board looking for advice............because it is only ESL/EFL

But you are a self-purported "higher earner". What are you doing reading this board, then?

The last option for the poll was, "some other reason not listed here". And surely with the presence of that choice, all experienced could be accounted for, even if those were out of the realm of my own. Yet, no one clicked that choice.

The poll addresses, "Teaching English". Yes, I know, as you seem to imply here and elsewhere, there are tons and heaps and tons of high paying teaching jobs here in the land of fake smiles... yet, at least some of the jobs here teaching English are those petty, insignificant ESL/EFL jobs that you look down your nose at. Wonder why those people didnt vote, is all... My guess is that while this site is a great starting point for people (to be warned) to find out about teaching in Thailand, MOD EDIT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: