Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Academia Ling�istica Internacional in Barletta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carig1985

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: The Academia Ling�istica Internacional in Barletta Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of The Academia Ling�istica Internacional in Barletta? I've got an interview with them this evening and they seem very keen. They've already asked for copies of my passport and TEFL certificate, and seem really eager to speak to me. As I've applied for about 20 jobs recently and only heard back from 4, the eagerness disconcerts me somewhat. Can anyone give me any information on this school, as there don't seem to be any comment online.
They are offering what is written below for 100 hours teaching a month:

The salary for the first 3 months is 850,00 euros net after tax, each month, in arrears on the 10th of the following month, guaranteed, national insurance and pension coverage .(in case of proved skills a raise to 900,00 will be given from the fourth month onwards) - A bonus can be offered at the end of the school year depending on the personal and individual skills and experience of the teacher. Living cost in this are is very low compared with northern Italy. There are three days at Easter paid holidays-and 10 days in December.The flight ticket is not paid by the school. A member of the staff will meet the teacher at the railway station in Barletta or at Bari airport in case of strikes or delays - Assistance in finding accommodation but not provided by the school. The average is 200-300 euros per month sharing a flat or on your own. -It is not acceptable to teach in any other private language institute in town.- Monthly meetings are held and dates of these will be supplied once the contract has been drawn up.-

I suppose my only thoughts are that it seems a bit harsh not to offer any assistance in finding accomodation, as most places seem very good when it comes to this. The pay is not great, but as it says, living costs are a lot cheaper than in the north, and jobs there aren't offering much more.

I'd be very grateful for any feedback

Many thanks
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do seem keen. Is it a phone/skype interview, or an interview in person?

You'll be able to tell after the interview if it sounds like the kind of school you'd want to work for.

Good luck!
carig1985

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the interview this evening and got the job. They sent me an email within an hour to let me know. There's some travelling involved to schools in nearby towns. I'm really not sure whether to take the job or not. It doesn't sound horrible or anything, I'm just a bit disconcerted about their enthusiasm when it's taken me so long to even get an interview with some schools.
Any advice would be appreciated, esp. comments from people who have either heard about this school, or even worked for them.

So, to recap: 850 euros after tax for 100 hours (I doubt that includes travel to and from lessons)
she said a bit of help finding accommodation as she 'knows some people' and can help to find me a place for a month whilst I find my feet. I'd be paying rent, of course.
some teaching in state schools in local towns - travel paid for my the school
long days as some hours spent waiting for lessons to happen

None of the above particularly worries me, but this will be by first TEFL job and I don't want to be taken for a ride.
It did sound quite nice. 4 other English speaking teachers, along with some other teachers of varying origins. Small town though which again puts me off again as I'm very much used to city life and doing something most evenings. Argh! Don't know what to do Sad
the_thinker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a pretty standard first job to me. 25 hours a week is quite a lot, plus travel time, so the job will be a big part of your daily life. You'll probably get sick of the town, too, if it's small. BUT ... you probably also won't regret the experience at the end of the year, and of course there's no other way of getting the kind of experience you need for better jobs than doing the worse jobs at the start.

One final thing you can do to try and make up your mind is ask the school to give you the contact details of some of the other teachers (or maybe you'll have to ask the school to pass on your details to them, as legally they're not supposed to give that kind of information out), and then just ask them about the job. You might also want to ask how many people they're recruiting this year, and why, and how many people are staying on from previous years. Turnover is often a good indicator of what a school is like to work for.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd echo what The_Thinker has said: that it's a pretty standard offer for a first job. Did you interview in person? It would be strange not to, so maybe they are kind of desperate - they might have had a lot of new contracts (having looked up scuola di lingua Barletta I can only see one other, maybe two, language schools) and need teachers for those.

The money is on the low side. �850 for 100 hours means �8.50 net an hour. State schools will be paying a lot more than that to the school for your time. But if you don't have any experience, then this school might well provide you with a range of teaching situations (state school, maybe some corporate stuff, maybe coaching lessons, maybe even YL) giving you a good grounding for the future.

This is what wikipedia says about the town:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barletta
"Barletta is a city whose economy is entirely based on the manufacture of concrete and cement. Secondarily only is it a city of agriculture, of which grapes and olives form the most widespread crops. Drug, cigarette and people smuggling are the other major economic activities. This contributes an economic sector of modest proportions to the city."
(The beaches sound nice though!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: