Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in montreal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majidm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: teaching in montreal Reply with quote

hi to my colleagues.i have been teaching toefl and ielts and conversation in my country and now i am in montreal.i have some questions and i hope you can help me with them.

1.to get a permit for teaching in public schools i should get a permit or licence and i should take an english test given by mels,do you know what the content of the test will be?are there any sources to study or any centers to enroll?

2.i am looking fornames of language schools or institutes in the suburb of montreal.thanks. Laughing
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by public schools? Are you referring to K-12 or CEGEP/universities?

K-12 requires a Quebec teaching license. I have been speaking with McGill University for years regarding this and it would likely require a minimum of three years university upgrading (I have a Canadian degree in English/TESL), plus practicum and licensing. I assume it would be the same for a foreign degree.

CEGEP usually requires a master's degree and the universities (McGill, Concordia) are looking for PhD's.

Which suburb? North or south shore? The CEGEP in Brossard (south shore) is always looking apparently.

Do you have a valid work permit for Canada?

Is French your first language? I get the impression from your posts (forgive me if I am wrong) that you are probably not a native speaker of English, I'm not sure if you are just rushed in your posting or if the errors are legitimate. Montreal is a bilingual city (as I'm sure you already know) and in general, schools prefer native speakers (whether it is French or English classes). You may have some difficulty finding a position, especially if your English abilities are reflected in your posts. I don't mean to offend you, just giving the reality of ESL in Montreal.
majidm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: montreal teaching Reply with quote

thanks for answering my question.i am focused on k-12 permit.i have BA of english language and literature from iran and i have applied for MA of applied linguistics to concordia university for winter semester.do you have BA or MA?I have work permit in canada and i know little french.do you think that i can find a job after getting the permit and did you have the same problem getting to the system of education if you are a teacher.

today i paid a visit to one of the primary schools and the guy talking to me told that the education system is sort of funny and despite being originally from quebec, he had to take a french test who could hardly pass to get to the system.could you provide me with further information regarding the content of the test.my mistakes are due to lack of attention and beinf bad in typing.sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: