Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Times" article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: "Times" article Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that there is a short article about teaching English in China (and the perils thereof) in today's (Saturday, 18th January) Times newspaper.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-546946,00.html
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good article, which reinforces the need to do as much research as possible before accepting any position overseas ... in this case China. Those that are interested in teaching in China, make sure you read the entries on my Job Information Journal (China):

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?China

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
Bill Shagley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Times Article Reply with quote

The article was fine and Dave is right when he stresses the importance of research. However, the article quotes a spokeswoman from the British foreign office who says that it is better to go through an agency. This is not very sound advice.
Some agencys are legitimate and some are not. This makes them no better or no worse than schools. I didn't use an agency and I turned out fine. Two mates of mine did and had a hellish time. We cannot draw a general message from this but it does demonsrate that one should research schools and agencys with equal caution. Remember that many agencys have local partners in the country and you should always find out what is happening on the ground. Many agencys are not too concerned about your legal status.
Agencys have one advantage and that is that if you sign a contract with them in your own country, you can persue them under the laws of your own country too. If you are operating under Chinese law then foregt it.
If something goes wrong, name them on Dave's froum and others so that people can be more aware of the many crooks and cowboys that operate within the industry.
Never surrender your passport and always register with your embassy.
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple problems with that article.
First, definitely as Bill said, they are screwy on their advice about using agencies. Agencies are the worst way to do it. Most people I hear from having problems went through an agency, and never contacted the school direct. ANd the worst agecies seem to be ones that have non-Chinese (westerners) involved or the title implies it...such as The Chinese Australian friendship coulncil for job placement (I think I made that up completely) But I would stay away from an agency with such a name.
Honestly, I don't know if I buy this story. Anything is possible, but the story has too many wholes. Was this guy working there illegally. I would guess yes. Hey, most of the bad schools are still businesses, interested in steady profits. Some people have bad experiences, but this guy doesn't wuite sound right to me.
Could be wrong, but maybe people going to China should go their legally. Worse things have happened in the UK and US for people who enter and try to work illegally. Much worse things such as rape, mbeatings torture, death
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: EF English First (aka MacEF) are also like this Reply with quote

EF English First (MacEF) can also be like this, but I will reserve all comments pertaining to this issue for a seperate topic to be begun today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: