Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living in Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Cost of living in Brazil Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for a couple of positions at international schools with full benefits, flights, the whole package. I have the requisite qualifications, but some of my friends who have lived in Rio INSIST that I cannot support my family of four (small children) on one salary. The salary would be roughly $40000 before taxes in Rio or $35000 or so in Porto Alegre. It's my understanding that I would take home about 60% of that, and housing is provided. I am having a hard time believing that that would not be a livable wage.

Insight, please?
labomba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insight? Well, the dollar is weak against the real and that is why 40,000 or 35,000 dollars (I guess that is what you are quoting) for a family may seem little.

Compare the price of goods in Europe/US to Brazil and you will discover Brazil is more expensive for many goods. I saw a pair of adidas trainers for 130 pounnds sterling that sell for 50 pounds sterling in the UK on my last visit.

Transport also expensive now.

The thing to realize is that the Brazilian real is very strong. It has been called the most overvalued currency in the World by a major bank, and as overvalued by the IMF and George Soros.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aiYVS1wCyj2U

So explaining this to Brazilians may not be the easiest thing, as not much has changed for them being in country, but you will know when you get there its bloody expensive.
Raf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I`m from Porto Alegre and I think it would be hard to support a family of four with this salary.

It is possible , depending on your life style

The problem is that education is private, hospital etc.

If you have any question , please, let me know
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have stated - the problem would be education for the kids - unless your employer is providing the cost of education for your kids.

Not exactly sure - I dont have kids myself but I know people here who pay around 400 US dollars a month per kid to send their kids to decent schools.

40,000 US dollars would probably be OK for a family such as yours but if you are only getting 60% of it - 25,000 US dollars - it might be tight if you have to pay education - This seems strange to me though as my understanding is that top income tax rate in Brazil is around 20%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: