Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there jobs in Mexico City for a newbie?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay.mendoza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Are there jobs in Mexico City for a newbie? Reply with quote

I am interested in teaching English in Mexico City, although I am unsure if someone with my lack of experience has any business looking for jobs there. A quick summary of my qualifications:

• BS in Computer Information Systems
  • Native speaker of English
  • Some experience tutoring children and teaching high school marching band

In my ideal scenario, I am able to obtain a TESL certification here in the states and procure a job from the comfort of my couch via telephone and e-mail. In my worst-case scenario, I am unable to obtain a certificate locally nor procure a job from afar, forcing me to move to the city sans job and without any idea of where to even begin thinking about hanging my hat. I hope a realistic scenario lies somewhere between the two.

My concern is that I will be expected to have already moved into the city before anyone will consider me for potential employment. At the very least, I should expect to have to interview in person, in the city, right?

Regardless, am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for hearing out a na�ve newbie.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My concern is that I will be expected to have already moved into the city before anyone will consider me for potential employment. At the very least, I should expect to have to interview in person, in the city, right?

This is pretty typical no matter what teaching job or qualifications you bring. It's good to make contacts by phone or email to set up meetings, but it is uncommon to have a job 100% locked up before meeting in person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jay.mendoza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:

This is pretty typical no matter what teaching job or qualifications you bring. It's good to make contacts by phone or email to set up meetings, but it is uncommon to have a job 100% locked up before meeting in person.

Would it be prudent to treat my first trip down there as a vacation from which I may or may not return? It seems like it would be difficult to find an economical temporary housing situation.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay.mendoza wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:

Would it be prudent to treat my first trip down there as a vacation from which I may or may not return? It seems like it would be difficult to find an economical temporary housing situation.

You can get a decent, basic hotel room in the heart of downtown DF for about 10 bucks a night if you rent by the week.

PM me or search my old posts for more info.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lots of inexpensive hotels, or hostels. Very possible to rent a furnished room month-to-month as well. Check Craig's list for an idea on options there, though they tend to be a bit pricier than what you could find locally.

Quote:
Would it be prudent to treat my first trip down there as a vacation from which I may or may not return?

Besides sounding ominous Wink that is a way of looking at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SaratheSlytherin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there jobs in Mexico City for a newbie? Reply with quote

You could do your TEFL training in Mexico and then search for jobs in person. I imagine that a lot of the TEFL schools there have connections and could advise you regarding good schools in the area.

One thing to keep in mind is to look for a course that is moderated by Trinity College of London (mine is) or Cambridge. Having the right credential is very important.

I got my TEFL certificate in Barcelona but I am sure there are some great TEFL schools in Mexico, too.

Good luck!
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: CELTA, TEFL, where? Reply with quote

Sara, I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference where you get your certificate, really, except in special circumstances, but I think you're right on to suggest doing it in Mexico, if the goal is to work in Mexico.

As has been pointed out, doing it in Mexico means you're on the ground, getting accustomed to conditions here, with a chance to personally call on prospective employers and to take advantage of any help the certificate provider can offer. If you know you're going to want to work in the D.F., for example, doing the course there could make a lot of sense.

In many years of teaching on contract, I never had a client even ask to see my credentials: presence, and reputation, seem more important to getting the offers.

I've always thought that the most important thing is that when the students are seated before you, they sense they are in the presence of a real teacher. This presence can come from experience combined with manner, bolstered by training to help you get started.

It takes a little courage, if teaching hasn't been one's background, but lots of people have successfully made the transition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: