Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InTheKnow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend finding someone who lives in and blogs about daily life in Laos. You'll get better and more timely information than trolling forums for that kind of info.
soundsgood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Yes and yes Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure things have changed a lot since 2007 - and Yes, Laos is somewhat cheaper than Thailand.
skipperoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Laos last year for about a month. Found a semi-decent guesthouse in Vientiene for about 5 dollars a night and food was dirt cheap, even cheaper than Thailand. Luang Prabang was much the same except nicer, I stayed in a stunning guesthouse (if I ever return I will hunt it down again) for, again, 5 dollars a night - eating out for every meal at great riverside restaraunts (stay away from the mainstreet tourist joints, they cost a lot) with a few beers set me back about 4-5 dollars a meal. If that's expensive to you then I suggest you loosen the pursestrings a little.

The statement about ATM machines also isn't true (anymore), at least in the major settlements. Luang Prabang has a number of ATMs and they all accept international cards.

It's an incredible country, full of wonderful people. I've no idea what the ESL experience is like there, but if you want a holiday you can't do much better.
jay_gee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info in here guys

ive spent 5 weeks in laos over 09/10 - fantastic country the people are beautiful
JLL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 10 days in Vientiane a couple years ago (after three months in Thailand) and got so sick that after a few days of vomiting up bile I had to get a Thai ambulance to take me back to Nong Khai, Thailand where they patched me right up.

The doctors said it was dengue fever; I wasn't convinced. But watch those Mekong mosquitos! And have health insurance that will pay for you getting to Thailand if necessary.

Otherwise, what little I saw of Laos was pretty great. Vientiane is a great capital 'city'. (More like a small town.) I do ache to return and see Laos properly.
Micro67

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Pakse and Other's Reply with quote

I only go as a tourist and it can be expensive to get there from here (HCMC) but there is potential. There is a coffee town, Pakse, that looks to have enough money to support a lot more ESL than it has (I only saw one modest school).

It could be done, but the market is probably 25 years behind Vietnam and well more than that behind Thailand.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking of teaching in Cambodia, but giving the news of recent events I think am going to pass. I wanted to go and teach in Laos last year, but kind of got stuck. Hopfully, I get out of here later on this summer. Anyone over there now that İ can get the low dow from?
deessell2

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkpatrick wrote:
Was thinking of teaching in Cambodia, but giving the news of recent events I think am going to pass.

The low down on teaching or looking for a wife? Are you saying that you are no longer heading to Cambodia because you are over 50 and won't make enough cash to marry a young Cambodian woman?

Rolling Eyes
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am under 50, But the reality is as an English teacher I will never make 2250 usd. in Cambodia. So, what if a guy does meets Miss Right and wants to get hitched. You can't!! Millionares only... Come on!!
ScottishGringo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is anyone teaching in Laos at the moment? What sort of money are you making and how is the work / lifestyle etc?

I loved Laos when I travelled through it a couple years back, stunning place and friendly people. Vientianne can be expensive though, I turned out when they were hosting the SEA games not knowing it was on, was a real struggle to find anywhere to sleep and the prices they were charging for a room in a guest house were extraordinary.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, what's the low down in Laos these days. Do you still get a visa at the border or what? Can you get a 3 month visa in Bangkok? How about getting there by bus? Also, how long to find work? I only have copies of degree and TESOL. Will this work for employment in Laos?
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkpatrick wrote:
No, I am under 50, But the reality is as an English teacher I will never make 2250 usd. in Cambodia. So, what if a guy does meets Miss Right and wants to get hitched. You can't!! Millionares only... Come on!!

I can't understand why anyone would marry someone where money was a factor.

It boggles my mind.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might understand it if you meet Ms. Right...
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkpatrick wrote:

$2250 a month? ILBC Myanmar... a joke of a school, for sure Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: