Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this a common package for working in chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dackinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: is this a common package for working in chile? Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm a teacher, and ive decided the next place i want to work is chile.

I'm speaking with a school at the moment, and have an interview with them shortly. They are offering
-$1100/month
-accomodation paid for
-flight paid for from uk to chile.

It sounds pretty good to me, especially the flight cost, which would be a big barrier of entry otherwise.

However its looking very difficult for me to make it to the interview. Before i decide whether or not to put myself through a lot of trouble to make it, i wanted to know, how common is this type of offer? Can i afford to wait for a similar offer from another school, or is this an unusually good offer?
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Chile in 2004, but this seems like a pretty good offer to me - I'd probably take it. Good luck!
Dia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds almost too good to be true (yes, I'm always sceptical, but make sure you check it out well) ... i've never heard of anybody having an offer like that with flights and everything for a teaching position.

If this is a legitimate school and you really are interested in coming to Chile, I would make an effort to do the interview. ( online? right, you're not talking about flying to chile just for the interview or something as far as i understood).

It is not that another similar paying job wont come around ever, but finding something stable that pays decent can take a while. I wouldn't expect too many offers of this kind, especially while you're still abroad, and they are offering to cover your flight. Something to think about- I do think a job like this might be the type to sponsor you in a subject to contract visa, which might mean you couldn't expect to legally work other part time jobs. I don't know this is the case, but check it out if that possibility might concern you
dackinator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its from the "british institute" in santiago. I've been searching but havent seen them mentioned, is anyone familiar with this school? Any info on how they are?

A few things i didnt notice until now;
-20% tax paid from the $1k salary.
-Accommodation isnt provided, but a $190 subsidy is -Is this enough for a room in santiago?
-Need to pay for work permit and visas.

They were advertising on www.tefl.com for a long long while, there must be a lot of applicants, is anyone else going for an interview early october?
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I think I saw that ad and conditions as described sounded absolutely unbearable.

Here's what you do: work really hard in your home country. Be frugal. Save lots of money. Decide where in Latin America you want to teach. Make sure it's a viable place for an ESL teacher to survive. Buy a plane ticket, come here, make friends, have fun and get a job. Oh, and get a CELTA or equivalent.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dackinator wrote:
Its from the "british institute" in santiago. I've been searching but havent seen them mentioned, is anyone familiar with this school? Any info on how they are?

A few things i didnt notice until now;
-20% tax paid from the $1k salary.
-Accommodation isnt provided, but a $190 subsidy is -Is this enough for a room in santiago?
-Need to pay for work permit and visas.

They were advertising on www.tefl.com for a long long while, there must be a lot of applicants, is anyone else going for an interview early october?

In 2004, I got a shared room and 2 meals a day for $150/month in a pension near Metro Cerro Santa Lucia. You'll see all sorts of offers like this in the major newspapers - prices have no doubt gone up.
dackinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Ya, I think I saw that ad and conditions as described sounded absolutely unbearable.

Here's what you do: work really hard in your home country. Be frugal. Save lots of money. Decide where in Latin America you want to teach. Make sure it's a viable place for an ESL teacher to survive. Buy a plane ticket, come here, make friends, have fun and get a job. Oh, and get a CELTA or equivalent.

I think i wouldnt mine it as a first job in the region.

Has anyone else spoken to them, or even better, does anyone working in chile know of them?

I have an interview early next week, im still undecided as to whether im going. they've said i cant see a sample contract or any further details until i attend the interview, which is pretty annoying since i'd like to identify any problems -before- spending �60 on a train fare down to london.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: