Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

By any chance...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selyer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: By any chance... Reply with quote

...does anybody know anything about the CJO group of IH schools? They've got schools in Bielsko-Biala, Opole, Katowice, and Wroclaw. Maybe some of you all there in Poland have heard things (good or bad) about them?

Thanks! Smile
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: IH Katowice Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've known quite a few teachers at the IH school in Katowice, and most of it has been positive. There are a lot of native speakers (around 40 I guess) and there are tons of extra materials to use as well as a few internet computers. I've been up in their offices, visiting my friends, several times and was impressed with all the help for new teachers that was available.

I don't quite know about how good the pay is. I've heard it's not great, but it's not horrible either. Enough to live on. The only real requirements to get a job there is a university degree and a CELTA. Otherwise, it's a place that a lot of new teachers go to get some experience and then move on.

That's what I know. Smile Hope it helps!
Selyer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris! Standard IH spiel (from teachers, not from IH of course!) seems to be that IH is a good place to start out, but pay is not great, enough to live on as you said. So you get your start with good support and then after you've earned a good reputation for yourself you move on to greener pastures ($$$).

Do you think any of your friends teaching at IH Katowice would be willing to email me so I could get some more firsthand info? Also, do you know much about Katowice itself? I've been warned to steer clear of it (polluted, not a pleasant place to live, etc.) and try for some of the other cities instead.

Oh, and I do meet their requirements for degrees/CELTA so that part is not a problem. I've been corresponding with the DOS at the Opole school and I'm trying to get more info as I could, potentially, end up at any one of the schools. Smile

Thanks again!
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I've been living in Sosnowiec, next to Katowice, for the past almost 6 years, so I know a little about it. Smile I am also working in Katowice during the day.

Yes, it is polluted, but it's a heck of a lot better than when I moved here in 97. Personally, while Sosnowiec is only a 15 minute bus ride from Katowice, I prefer living here to there. It's cheaper and just has a better feel to it. But, Katowice has a lot more happening in it, so on weekends, we (the other Americans in Sos) go there quite often.

Unfortunately, all of the teachers that I knew at IH in Katowice have moved on. I'm still in touch with one of the teachers I met there. She's actually from Russia, but taught at IH from 99-01. She's now in New Zealand. I'll see if she'd be willing to correspond with you.

So, good luck! And I'll try to get you in touch with my friend..

Chris

Have a good Easter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: