Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maximum age for ESL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelgal

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: maximum age for ESL? Reply with quote

I am in my mid 60's, pass easily for 45, and taught ESL in Asia for 15 yrs. Would I even have a chance to get a job teaching adults?
starlight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: maximum age for ESL? Reply with quote

Mid-60s? Realistically, not much chance at all, certainly as a 'first-hire' -- definitely not in China or Thailand. I've heard from friends that the cut-off age in Singapore is 55, but don't know for sure.

It doesn't matter how young you look; it's the birthdate in your passport that counts. Sorry, but it's a harsh fact of life. Sad

Of course, there are always exceptions (rare) -- "I know a person who is still working at the age of 65, 70, 75, 80 ...", as undoubtedly you'll see on various related threads in these discussion forums -- but most people are subject to the 'rule'.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm
KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: maximum age for ESL? Reply with quote

starlight wrote:
Mid-60s? Realistically, not much chance at all, certainly as a 'first-hire' -- definitely not in China or Thailand. I've heard from friends that the cut-off age in Singapore is 55, but don't know for sure.

It doesn't matter how young you look; it's the birthdate in your passport that counts. Sorry, but it's a harsh fact of life. Sad

Of course, there are always exceptions (rare) -- "I know a person who is still working at the age of 65, 70, 75, 80 ...", as undoubtedly you'll see on various related threads in these discussion forums -- but most people are subject to the 'rule'.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm

Very good article that you linked to. It could be a sticky since this topic comes up quite often, and in different forums, and then the anecdotes start flying.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A topic from that article:

If You Have Unique Skills the Rules May be Bent
starlight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: maximum age for ESL? Reply with quote

The key words in your post are "If" and "may".

It is illogical to extrapolate the 'unique skills' of a few to a general population of many.

It seems to be human nature that most job seekers think they have 'unique skills'. The only problem with this is that when these job seekers are rejected by a school administrator who doesn't think they have 'unique skills', they then find it difficult to deal with the 'fallout'. Very Happy

False hope benefits no one, particularly older job applicants. Better to deal with reality and make other plans accordingly.

But I'm glad you have an optimistic outlook! Very Happy
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: maximum age for ESL? Reply with quote

starlight wrote:
The key words in your post are "If" and "may".

I was merely citing a section of that article. You can "extrapolate" about my "outlook" all you like. Razz
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: maximum age for ESL? Reply with quote

travelgal wrote:
I am in my mid 60's, pass easily for 45, and taught ESL in Asia for 15 yrs. Would I even have a chance to get a job teaching adults?

If schools present a problem, why not try private teaching? I would imagine a place like Singapore would be a happy hunting ground, and more senior teachers are - for many reaons - often preferred for such work.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla,

That's not very smart. One needs an employment pass to stay in Singapore legally. One will not get an employment pass by doing private tuition. One needs an ep to rent a flat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: