Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emailing schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Emailing schools Reply with quote

I know a lot of people advocate moving to Chile and then finding a job, but I don't have the cajones or the cash, and I don't want to pay over a grand to get placed somewhere.

Aside from checking the job boards, I have been emailing various English schools, but I am not having much success. I'm looking for a job in Concepcion, so there aren't as many openings as Santiago, and I know missed the hiring boat about 2 months ago.

I was wondering if I should send my American style resume or a CV (English or Spanish?). Should I write a cover letter in English or in Spanish? I have strong oral skills, but my writing could use improvement. I feel like I come across much stronger in English, but I don't know for sure if the person I am contacting speaks English.

If anybody has any experience doing what I am trying, please let me know what worked for you, or if you have any other suggestions.
Dia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the majority of places, you should be able to write a cover letter in English and send either a CV or Resume in English. Whoever hires English teachers SHOULD have enough English themselves to read your qualifications in English. However, I'm sure there are exceptions and if you think you may be applying at places where the hiring manager doesn't understand English, a copy of your resume or CV in each language would of course be best. I made a PDF where my English version came first then the Spanish version.

The cover letter might be a good idea to have in Spanish (or at the very least, a short email intro) especially in case your email does not go directly to the English director. It might better help a secretary or someone get your email to the right place.

I have never heard anything about preferences between resume or CVs here. Its basically an issue of formatting and inclusion (CVs tend to be longer) however coming from abroad, much of your history is going to be irrelevant to a Chilean employer. Just make sure you have the most essential elements and I think they'll be willing to work with whichever format you give them.

The hiring process in Chile isn't as strict as in the US. Your resume doesn't usually get thrown out for a single spelling mistake or an ugly format. So try to do the best you can and good luck!
kellyknu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave0
i'm in a similar situation, have you sent out your resume/cv and had any success yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: