Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microbabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I�m sure this has been asked before , but I can�t find it.Is it possible these days,in Asia, to teach legally without a degree ? I am a UK citizen and passport holder.

Thanks,

Smile
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ? Reply with quote

microbabe wrote:
Hi,

I�m sure this has been asked before , but I can�t find it.Is it possible these days,in Asia, to teach legally without a degree ? I am a UK citizen and passport holder.

Thanks,

Smile

I think it is at the point where it is almost easier to list the places you can't teach without a degree and by the process of elimination see what is left.

ONE NOTEABLE exception to the degree requirement is Japan. IF you have verifiable classroom experience (3+ years) you can still get a visa without a degree. It is also required to note that finding an employer is another matter.

You can stroke Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, and China off the list for paid, legal jobs (as in work visa and work permits) as a teacher unless you have your degree.

Countries that I can't confirm (that a degree is required for your visa) by personal experience are: Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Burma (Myanmar).

I think that you will find that most reputable employers will ask for people with a degree but those language academies who are desperate MAY hire people without one and skate around the issue with regular border runs to get around the expiring (short term) tourist visa issue.

microbabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better start booking holidays there instead. Sad
Madame J

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be glum, there's always Indonesia! I worked for EF in Surabaya, and although this name brand has a terrible reputation, the Surabaya franchise is very well run. The DoS of ours was far more concerned about an applicant having a CELTA than a degree.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame J wrote:
Don't be glum, there's always Indonesia! I worked for EF in Surabaya, and although this name brand has a terrible reputation, the Surabaya franchise is very well run. The DoS of ours was far more concerned about an applicant having a CELTA than a degree.

But can you get a proper visa to stay and work as a teacher?

(people can always find jobs from dodgy language schools who find ways to skirt around the legal requirements).

Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ? Reply with quote

microbabe wrote:
Is it possible these days,in Asia, to teach legally without a degree ? I am a UK citizen and passport holder.
In Japan (and probably other countries) you can work legally under various visa situations:

working holiday visa
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html

student visa
(PT work only, with special permission)

dependent visa
("dependent" means you are the spouse or child of someone who has a valid visa to live here; PT work only, with special permission)

spouse visa
(if you are married to a Japanese)

cultural activities visa
(if you train under a master in martial arts, flower arranging, pottery, swordmaking, etc.; PT work only, with special permission)

regular work visa
(you must first prove at least 3 years of related work experience)

For more info, go here.
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/t_main.html#zairyuu
http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/mopca-01.html
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one's mentioned China. guanxi gets you a lot there.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

Countries that I can't confirm (that a degree is required for your visa) by personal experience are: Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Burma (Myanmar).

I think that you will find that most reputable employers will ask for people with a degree but those language academies who are desperate MAY hire people without one and skate around the issue with regular border runs to get around the expiring (short term) tourist visa issue.

No border/visa runs required in Cambodia - you hold your own business visa, which can be renewed indefinitely without leaving the country. A breath of fresh air compared to most countries in the region. Though how long this situation will obtain is anyone's guess.

The better paying Cambodian employers do of course require qualifications (degree + TEFL certificate as a minimum) and experience, though there are a fair few bottom-feeder jobs available without. Cambodian students can however (quite rightly) be rather discerning and demanding when it comes to teachers, and they will not hesitate to complain about anyone they believe is not delivering the goods.
davep654

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at a Laos school I have a degree but my girlfriend doesn't, we both have business visas fully funded by the school, which is pretty much the norm here, degree not required!
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ? Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
students can however (quite rightly) be rather discerning and demanding when it comes to teachers, and they will not hesitate to complain about anyone they believe is not delivering the goods.

Crying or Very sad I hate it wen students eggs peck 'teachers' to have sum ejucashun and trainin.
englishtutor1378

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above regarding Laos. When I was there just touring they were trying to offer me a job just cause I was a foreigner that could speak English. In fact, since the sun was so blazing hot, looking back at my pictures I kinda looked Laotian. DANG! Twisted Evil
Nemodot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia is an absolute no. Korea/Taiwan I understand is a no frommfriends that worked there.

Thailand you can get a work permit in rural areas with a celta only if white native speaker. That is a 30k baht a month job but ok for a year off say. For a 'career' in teaching you need a degree.
Haleznz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught English in Thailand legally without a degree.

You can (well in 2006 you could) teach Kindergarten without a degree.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemodot wrote:
For a 'career' in teaching you need a degree.
adventuramust

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: list places requirements? Reply with quote

I would really like to see a solid response to the OP's post.

For what it is worth, I have taught within the past few years in Myanmar, Thailand and China w/o my BA. I do have my AA plus almost two more years of college (not that anyone takes note of that). I also have my TEFL cert.

Taiwan seems to be a must for BA and I believe Vietnam and Cambodia are as well. Can we get some kind of list going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: