Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hamburg CELTA School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Hamburg CELTA School Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the Hamburg School of English and their CELTA course. I interviewed with them and was offered a place in their program for next year, but I was just wanting to make sure it was legit. Here's their website if you'd like to take a look: http://hamburg.school-of-english.de/pages/about
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the University of Cambridge ESOL website. This school is authorized by Cambridge to award the CELTA, so it is, at the very least, "legit." They have been in business for almost 20 years; one of the trainers has been there since 1992; another since 2001. They've been an authorized CELTA provider since 2002, and they are running several courses a year with in-house staff. This is a much more promising set-up than you would find at one of the many centers that don't have trainers on staff, but import them each time they offer a course. No red flags that I could spot.

Still, none of this tells you anything about the individuals who will be giving your course. You can take a look at their profiles on the school website--I assume you already have--and you can ask for contact info to get opinions from former trainees.

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/teaching/search.do?source=teacheraward&country=ALL&qualification=10&Input=Search
thevce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. All of your points were strong and put the little anxiety I had to rest. I'm looking forward to getting over there and starting my course!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And perhaps someone with personal experience of the school, either working there or taking their CELTA course, will chime in. Very Happy
Alsion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a bit late, but I got my CELTA there in 2004. They are affiliated with the Berlin School of English I believe as one of our tutors was from there (the other two tutors being permantly based at the achool) - no idea what the set up is now. They were excellent in my opinion, located in a pretty posh part of the city and thus the students we "practiced" on were mostly really friendly, and the lessons I sat in on for experience also seemed high quality.
thevce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsion wrote:
It might be a bit late, but I got my CELTA there in 2004. They are affiliated with the Berlin School of English I believe as one of our tutors was from there (the other two tutors being permantly based at the achool) - no idea what the set up is now. They were excellent in my opinion, located in a pretty posh part of the city and thus the students we "practiced" on were mostly really friendly, and the lessons I sat in on for experience also seemed high quality.

Nope, you're not too late! Thank you for your reply. I just have to wait for my lodging to confirm and transfer some funds. Looking forward to it!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevce wrote:
. . . I just have to wait for my lodging to confirm and transfer some funds. Looking forward to it!

thevce,
can you update us? Did you end up taking your CELTA course at the Hamburg School? If so, what did you think of it? And where are you now?
thevce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
thevce wrote:
. . . I just have to wait for my lodging to confirm and transfer some funds. Looking forward to it!

thevce,
can you update us? Did you end up taking your CELTA course at the Hamburg School? If so, what did you think of it? And where are you now?

I'm attending the school in June and then have a job interview lined up in July with Accelingua. Everything I've read is that it's a good "starter" company, and me being an American, am trying my hardest to get a work visa after I get my CELTA.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHATS THE COST OF THE CELTA THERE IN HAMBURG, I MEAN THE TUITION AND ALSO THE ROOM???
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
WHATS THE COST OF THE CELTA THERE IN HAMBURG, I MEAN THE TUITION AND ALSO THE ROOM???

http://hamburg.school-of-english.de/pages/node/99/

AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevce wrote:
I'm attending the school in June and then have a job interview lined up in July with Accelingua. Everything I've read is that it's a good "starter" company, and me being an American, am trying my hardest to get a work visa after I get my CELTA.

Since there are already several threads about American teachers in Germany, I don't want to turn your thread into one more. But I am curious about what the school might have told you about your chances. Did you feel they were realistic about the difficulties involved?

And good luck on your course in June! Let us know how it goes.

Wink
thevce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:

Since there are already several threads about American teachers in Germany, I don't want to turn your thread into one more. But I am curious about what the school might have told you about your chances. Did you feel they were realistic about the difficulties involved?

And good luck on your course in June! Let us know how it goes.

Wink

The school has only told me they can point me in the right direction, but do not guarantee employment. Their course is less expensive than the American CELTA courses, plus I'm staying with a friend while there, so that's why I chose them.

As for employment, I've heard both good and bad (I'm sure you've read all the bad). I'm just really wanting this to work out, so I'm doing all I can to get a work visa after the course. Can't hurt to try, right? Very Happy
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want the same thing.....celta in germany and try my darnedest to get a german (eu) work visa, because Im american.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevce wrote:

thevce, can you update us? I'd love to hear how your CELTA course went and about your experience with The Hamburg School. What do you think of them now that you've had a few weeks to catch your breath? How did your interview with Accelingua go? Have you found work, been able to get a work permit?

Regards,
AGS
thevce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
thevce wrote:

thevce, can you update us? I'd love to hear how your CELTA course went and about your experience with The Hamburg School. What do you think of them now that you've had a few weeks to catch your breath? How did your interview with Accelingua go? Have you found work, been able to get a work permit?

Regards,
AGS

The CELTA course was awesome. Some people complained it was "too intense", but I think they just had a bad work ethic. Definitely improved my teaching skills.

But, I moved back to the USA after the course. My personal life didn't quite work out over there like I hoped it would haha. The cost of living was also high in Hamburg, so don't know if I could have even survived on a freelance teacher's wage/lack of scheduled classes. I assume I could have gotten a work visa based off discussions with people there, but it takes a lot of leg work to make it happen (and luck).

ps: I miss the Franzbroetchen Sad

Last edited by thevce on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: