Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Prague?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonchaley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: CELTA in Prague? Reply with quote

Would anyone here recommend a good CELTA training program in Prague to me? Thank you!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one CELTA in Prague, so far as I know: http://www.akcent.cz/cz/p/175/the-cambridge-celta.html

There are other TEFL/TESL training centres. The generics mostly provide quite good courses and are well-recognised in the region. If you're planning to teach in the area, a generic cert is worth considering. If you are considering ranging far afield later on, you might want the name brand.

I started out with a generic cert from a Prague provider 12 years ago and have never had any trouble with its acceptance, including in Canada. The key is to be sure the cert is from a course that is 120 hours on-site and includes supervised teaching practice with real students. I believe all the generic courses in Prague meet this standard.
jonchaley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
There is only one CELTA in Prague, so far as I know: http://www.akcent.cz/cz/p/175/the-cambridge-celta.html

There are other TEFL/TESL training centres. The generics mostly provide quite good courses and are well-recognised in the region. If you're planning to teach in the area, a generic cert is worth considering. If you are considering ranging far afield later on, you might want the name brand.

I started out with a generic cert from a Prague provider 12 years ago and have never had any trouble with its acceptance, including in Canada. The key is to be sure the cert is from a course that is 120 hours on-site and includes supervised teaching practice with real students. I believe all the generic courses in Prague meet this standard.

Thanks as usual, spiral. Do you know if the job market is good for a new teacher in that country? I did some teaching in the US, but it was hands-on technical training, so I did not have a teaching certificate.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the market is tight and likely to remain so.
You probably want to read Chris Westergard's post on finding a first job in Prague. It's very helpful in terms of letting you know what to expect in reality. I'll bump it up if it's not on top in the CR forum.
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most jobs ask for a CELTA but i dont think anywhere outside of International house will refuse to hire you just because you have a generic tefl. What you took away from the course will be apparent in a demo lesson for a prospective school.

as spiral says after you get experience the type of tefl cert you got wont matter as your experience will trump it all.

that said, if you get a CELTA (as opposed to generic) no one will question your training. So a CELTA is the safest bet if you dont want to be questioned about your certification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: