Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mynammar
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Mynammar Reply with quote

...anybody interested AT ALL in the republic formerly known as Burma? The subject just never comes up but I bet there are language schools there. Maybe trade English classes for Buddhist instruction at a monastery?
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mynammar Reply with quote

Daddyo wrote:
...anybody interested AT ALL in the republic formerly known as Burma? The subject just never comes up but I bet there are language schools there. Maybe trade English classes for Buddhist instruction at a monastery?

ummm.... Is this a question, statement or what?!?!?!
wanderingsalsero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Yeah, I'm intrested in it.. Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm interested in knowing more about it. Interested and curious.

Art
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings

I am working for a school here in Yangon,Myanmar.
There is not a lot of information on the net about the teaching scene here so here is my 2 cents worth....

This country has 60 million people or so with 6 million in Yangon-so it's a big marketplace.
Off the top of my head there are about 10 or so "International schools" in Yangon plus language institutes etc..
It's possible to work in Mandalay as well-there are several institutes and schools there.

The recruitment here seems to be a bit haphazard with some advertising on the net,some walk-ins,some poaching from Thailand etc.
Due to the bad press that Myanmar gets and the Lonely Planet it seems that it is hard to get people to come here and that is reflected in the pay rates which for the most part are signifigantly higher than Thailand.

If you are interested in teaching or living here then it's the usual story-buy a ticket and go and knock on some doors and you should have work in a week, if you want a more serious position then apply to the schools online-the school year starts around Mid May or August here although recruiting goes on throughout the year due to dropouts,sackings etc....

Good luck and Enjoy Very Happy
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries in the international schools run from around US $2000-$3000 net including the housing allowance.A decent apartment can be had for $250-300.

A degree and a TEFL seems to be the required qualifications and experience in the region helps.

Hope that helps.
Dave_1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddisfunctional wrote:
Salaries in the international schools run from around US $2000-$3000 net including the housing allowance.A decent apartment can be had for $250-300.

A degree and a TEFL seems to be the required qualifications and experience in the region helps.

Hope that helps.

is the visa process tricky? What's required to get legal? thanks for any info
jski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing this info as well. Sounds like an interesting alternative to Thailand. @Bent are you enjoying your time there? What do you do in your spare time (if you have any)? Know any good TEFL programs on the ground in the area?
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa process is simple.Visa on arrival has been stopped recently because of the elections but a 1 month tourist visa is obtained at the embassy in Bangkok.
Once employed you need an invitation letter from your employer which will let you get a business visa which means a visa run to Bangkok every 10 weeks- any reputable school will pay for this plus your expenses(taxis,airfare etc..)

Re free time- I have 18 contact hours per week but am required to be on site for the school day.
I bike around town,take trips around the country,surf the net,watch movies,go to the local markets etc etc.
Usual stuff.
hijole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bent, could you send me a pm? i don't have enough posts yet to initiate one, but i'd like to ask you about a few details there in yangon, as i will possibly be arriving and looking for work within a couple of weeks.
PelemPelem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bent, thank you for the information you've already supplied. I have a couple more questions:

1. Are you paid in US dollars?
2. Can you transfer saved money out of the country easily?
3. What would you see as the negative aspects as living in the country?
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer to your questions are:

1.Yes
2.Yes,physically on your visa runs to Thailand.
3.It's not Bangkok in terms of infrastructure,and millions of things to do-Movie theatres,bars,clubs etc.

hijole I can't pm either

Enjoy
Bent
Cubism

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: FEB. 2013 MUCH INTERESTED IN MYANMAR ESL. PLS ADVISE Reply with quote

I applied to a school in Mandalay today. Money's funny and would rather not come without some job in mind.

I'm 64 so might not be possible to get hired. I do have 10+ yrs teaching experience plus 6 yrs university teaching in China...however, the age is still 64. Thailand stops at 60 now.

Any advice? I'd really like to teach in Myanmar, a language school would be fine.

Thank you
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't worry too much about age.
There are some absolute fossils at my school- it's like a retirement home.

As long as you are of reasonable health it won't be an issue.

Good luck
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a degree legally required?
gastropod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: power & internet Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm interested in trying my luck there but I'm also wondering how frequent the power cuts are. I think it gets pretty hot there so I wouldn't want to be without the aircon too often. Also, what's the internet like? Do most hotels offer free wifi? Is it much trouble to get connected to the internet in your apartment? Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: