Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiners rates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longanluv

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: IELTS examiners rates Reply with quote

xx

Last edited by longanluv on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ukrjamie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: IELTS rates Reply with quote

would definitely be good if more people did contribute to this post, don't see why IELTS pay should be anything of a secret...
when I was in China the pay must have gone up since your post, was about 102 RMB for each speaking interview. don't recall the writing rate.
In Malaysia, it's about half that, 30RM for speaking and the same for writing. (5RM = c 1GBP)
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

United Arab Emirates:

Speaking: AED 50 / candidate = 13.61 USD

Writing: AED 35 / script = 9.53 USD
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia - I can only speak for my employer.

We are paid by the hour, not per script/candidate.

AUD$55 hour (add a couple of dollars for US conversion).

Number of scripts per hour can vary. Last week I had to do 6 scripts, but this is not always so. There are always 6 speaking candidates per hour.
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insubordination wrote:
Australia - I can only speak for my employer.

We are paid by the hour, not per script/candidate.

AUD$55 hour (add a couple of dollars for US conversion).

Number of scripts per hour can vary. Last week I had to do 6 scripts, but this is not always so. There are always 6 speaking candidates per hour.

6 speaking per hour? I think you meant 3, right?

I examined in Australia before as well, and we were paid by the script / candidate, but I can't remember the rates.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry three speaking candidates an hour. Per script is interesting. Wouldn't some examiners be tempted to do them quickly to get more money? On the other hand, I occasionally feel pressured to finish the speaking in a particular time frame and often have to decide a little quicker than I'm comfortable with and don't have time to re-listen to segments.
jsteventon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: IELTS payment Reply with quote

Hi

In Brunei each speaking candidate brings the examiner Br$12 and each writing script marked pays $15.

JS
jsteventon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: conversion Reply with quote

Forgot to mention at present Br$2.1 to the pound
Prog Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to qualify as an IELTS examiner whilst working in Brunei?
jsteventon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: IELTS Reply with quote

Yes, CfBT Learning Centre host a training course - once a year or so I think.

JS
Perilla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off topic, but just wondering if IELTS examiners in other areas are as hack ed off with recent procedural changes (especially the stricterregime for the speaking tests) as we are in HK (I'm assuming that these changes are across the board).

For example, only being allowed a five second leeway on the timing of the three parts. I'm an experienced examiner (eight years on the HK front line!) but have failed my last two monitorings, chiefly for timing errors (going more than five seconds over). Also for things like saying "Can I please see your ID card" instead of "identification". It's all getting a bit much - too robotic. I understand the need for standardisation, but most of us in HK think it's being taken too far.

Add to that the fact that there has been no pay increase since 1990 something ... there are many disgruntled IELTS examiners in HK.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job really isn't worth the hassle for me. I only do it because it gives me an edge is some employment situations. I got picked up by going 3 seconds over in section 2. The thing is, how do they know exactly when the candidate picks up/looks at the topic card anyway? It's an audio recording.
ozman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a lot of disgruntled examiners on the mainland. Since the pdsm, they seem to want to FIND fault. I was picked up for being a few secs over in a section. On the mainland we had an increase a year or so ago, but this was the first increase in about 8 - 9 years but this was taken back when they stopped us being allowed to claim for lunch tea etc.
Besides this, they have over-recruited which means there is a lot less work for examiners. This had led to bad feelings amongst examiners. And STILL they advertise for more examiners.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now failed two monitorings for petty reasons, and might jack it in completely if I get failed a third time. It really is getting silly. Funnily enough though, I recently sailed through my two-year recertification exams in both writing and speaking.

In HK there hasn't been an IELTS pay rise since early 90s. Many, many disgruntled examiners here ...
boysfromtheblackstuff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: pay in Saudia Arabia Reply with quote

Hi

We get 50 sr per speaking, and 50sr per writing. - this is pretty much the same as what I was getting in Central Asia.

I know it doesn't seem fair that the writing gets the same as the speaking when it can take a lot less time and be considerably less stressful (has anyone else ever done 20 band 3/4 candidates in one day). But there is huge demand for ielts here and not many examiners, and because the speaking has to be done by the same sex, there is a clear division of labour and we all get the same amount or more of writing.

Haven't had a problem here with the new guidelines, but I always get done for the supplementary questions in part 3, the candidates tackle it as if it was a 'long turn' and by the time they've run out of steam, they've covered all possible options for a follow up question, or certainly any that i can think of.

BftBS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: