Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARAMCO Interview - Help required
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talktome wrote:
The interview was at the Double Tree Hotel located in the Galleria section of Houston, which had tons of clubs and bars along with one strip where my hotel was on.
A word of warning- don't expect much to be open after 10pm except a few bars and clubs since that area is also a very dangerous area as well.

I'm from Connecticut originally and from everywhere and nowhere in particular after that, but for what it's worth on this thread, Houston definitely grows on you if you live there. I like the Asian influence, complete with an entire Asian mall, a couple of Hong Kong supermarkets, several huge and beautiful parks, authentic Chinese and Vietnamese food, you name it. Oh--and rodeos if that's your gig--not mine. And...the low cost of living; very low in terms of house prices.
PRiS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: I got an interview with ARAMCO, but... Reply with quote

turned it down (the interview) because they wanted me to fly on my dime to meet with them in London. At the time, I was in Turkey, and the flight was to cost me $800. They would not put me in a hotel either.

I offered a Skype or telephone interview. They declined.

A friend did interview with ARAMCO in Houston. Just as I had suspected, the ARAMCO offer was not what I would have thought. Simply put: ARAMCO didn't pay much compared to other gigs in Saudi, and from what I could gather, they didn't provide enough money for housing as well.

I am glad I didn't waste time nor money with them. If the situation changes in the future, I would consider them as an employer.

BTW: ARAMCO is the biggest oil company in the world. EXXON-Mobile lags far behind.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I got an interview with ARAMCO, but... Reply with quote

PRiS wrote:
BTW: ARAMCO is the biggest oil company in the world. EXXON-Mobile lags far behind.

These are actually two totally different animals... not easily comparable. ARAMCO is a company that owns and works with its massive national reserves of carbon products. EXXON MOBIL is a international company that develops fields for various countries and is only the partial owner of any product it finds, pulls from the ground, and refines.

Looking at this question on Google led to some interesting websites on the oil business. Cool

VS
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to tell you this PRIS, but yer friend is mistaken. S/he did NOT interview with Aramco in Houston...

Lemmee guess, the "Aramco" s/he interviewed with required him/her to travel on his/her dime as well as held the interview in a hotel rather that their Houston office building, right?

Ask yerself this: Why would the biggest oil company in the world ask a candidate to use their own resources to help get recruited? Money to them isn't like money to us. A flight? That's chump change to a multinational.

Plus, would they like to gain a reputation, like you mention here, of being a penny-pincher?

Food fer thought.

NCTBA
PRiS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: My final response about this topic Reply with quote

Greetings Community Members,

This will be my final response to this topic.

My experience: My friend had interviewed twice with Aramco: Once in 2005 and once in 2010.

For the first 2005 interview, my friend says that the recuriter paid him cash for the travel reimbursement to Houston and that he was given a nice room in the hotel where the interviews were held: a nice hotel in Downtown Houston. The interview went well with the Sudanese Ph. D. and the Englishman Coordinator. He did not accept the job offer because he received a better job offer. As he was to be hired as a subcontractor and not as a direct ARAMCO employee, he did mentioned that a friend of his was very critical of the low quality of housing provided: that was a big red flag for him. I later verified this myself and saw the accomodation given to his friend: the accomodation reminded me of my days serving as a missionary in Indonesia - truly depressing.

In 2010, my friend interviewed with the same gentlemen again: This time the recuriter/ARAMCO did not reimburse him for the plane nor hotel arrangements - in other words, these came out of his pocket. The money offered to him was still the same as in 2005. Luckily, my friend found a much better job in the Gulf region. The difference this time, though, was that ARAMCO wanted my friend to be a Lead teacher: more responsibilities, same pay. He says he didn't like the housing allowance money and the vacation structure. He declined.

My two cents: There are better contracts out there. At best, IMHO, this contract is so-so. I am shocked that the largest oil company by far penny pinches this way out of their employees - this certainly does not ensure employee loyalty. The students I know tend to sleep in class a lot and the teacher is to blame. For the money that is offered, this kind of hassle and aggravation is not worth it. There are better gigs that offer more money and benefits for the same emotional tax.

This is the end of my participation on this topic.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

PaRiS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...therein lies the reason for his disappointment. He was being hired by a recruiter for Aramco and not as a direct hire. Direct hires for Aramco are allowed to live on the Dhahran Camp (or other various company-run camps) and given all of its amenities.

When recruited, direct hires for Aramco are emailed a return e-ticket, chauffered from the airport to a nice hotel that is not located in Houston's CBD, chauffered to the interview at their building in Houston, paid a per diem for their trouble, fed for any mealtimes that the interview infringed upon and chauffered back to the airport for their flight home. It is all done first class as can be imagined as it, indeed, is the World's largest oil company.

I don't doubt that your friend is absolutely honest in his account, but as I said earlier, he wasn't interviewed by Aramco. And, the Englishman coordinator was obviously also hired by the recruiter. I don't blame yer friend on taking a pass.

I would've as well, but then again, I would've never travelled on my own dime to Houston (or anywhere for tha matter, save a TESOL convention) for an interview...

Good luck to yer friend...

NCTBA
Al-Mansoor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Conclusion to initial topic Reply with quote

Hi all. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

After much thought I decided to attend the interview in London. I asked around and made phone calls to Aramco to verify the authenticity of it all.

I'm back from the interview and can confirm that it was legitimate and the interview was held by real Aramcons...phew. The building was off Oxford St, London, in their overseas office.

Structure of the interview:
- Watched a very short promo video about Aramco. There was only two of us (candidates) in the room while the screen was on.
- After the video I was called in to another room for a grilling by three people; two Saudis and one Brit.
- I can't recall the length of the interview but it felt quite long and I finished my glass of water pretty quickly!
- Final stage was a presentation by another lady who provided us with more in depth information about Aramco's benefits package, excluding the actual salary which will be stated IF an offer is made.

The interview lasted from 10am until 12pm.

The information above is to help others who may be in a similar position in the future. If you receive any communication from Aramco Overseas Company make sure you call the office to confirm and don't just rely on the contact number given by the expat recruitment person.

Once again, thanks for all your comments.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: My final response about this topic Reply with quote

PRiS wrote:
This will be my final response to this topic.

This is the end of my participation on this topic.

It's regrettable that you've taken this tack on a public discussion board. It's almost as it's "your way or the highway". The last time I ran into this kind of attitude was when I was in the Army, but that was in strict adherence to discipline and honoring the chain-of-command philosophy.

As Al-Mansoor and I have attempted to educate those reading this board, you and your friend's experience rise from the experience of interviewing with Aramco recruiters and not the company itself. The company simply put people from out-of-town in hotels...it doesn't interview or even meet you there. They provide you transport to the venue that is at their offices. They provide the transport to move you around if you come from a distance. In some cases, they pay you a per diem...even though you are not officially with the company. They have a host of professional staff that are well-versed in receiving, facilitating and making-at-ease interviewees.

I don't understand why you would castigate a company who does so well by its prospective and hired personnel and then say that any opinion/experience is not of further discussion by you...as if your word is the final word of truth.

Well, rather than the readers of this board/thread believe your one-sided and erroneous information, I want folk to know that an interviewing experience with Aramco proper is beyond comparison to many that I or my long-time friend, who went on one recently, have experienced. I have been flown for interviews with other companies, but was never chauffeured, fed or given a per diem as my friend recently experienced.

You should give considerable thought the next time should you want to pass on half-truths about reputable employers.

From the sounds of it, Aramco, is a great opportunity for an ESL teacher. I know, I've known one, but that was back in the day when they flew EVERYBODY Business Class...

NCTBA
saxmanrandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: salary Reply with quote

SRACO/ARAMCO contracts are paying approximately what kind of salary?
Of the two offers I have had from universities in SA, I had an offer of a 17,000 riyalsl and a 16,000 riyal salary (not inclusive of other benefits/housing).

How much more are we looking at?
I have over 10 years uni teaching, 24 in total, a M. Ed. in TESOL, and fully completed Ph. D coursework in literature (ABD).
Chinaski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top notch thread.

Does anyone think there would be any bias for a Canadian or American to be interviewed in London, or for a British or Irish national to be interviewed in Houston, for example?

I've got an application in with Aramco, through a recruiter, and if I get an interview it could be a toss up between London and Houston, as I'm in Northeast Asia now; hence my interest in readers views, concerning the above...

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: