Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job market in Frankfurt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Job market in Frankfurt? Reply with quote

Does anybody know or can point me in the right direction to find out information regarding the job market in Frankfurt?

my quick background - still in the process of figuring everything out but am looking to get either my tesol (does Germany prefer this to TEFL or IELTS?) certification, then move to Frankfurt in the Fall. I have a few friends there and was told by a woman at the TEFL Institute in Chicago that this will help me tremendously in trying to find a job, but I think she was just pushing the class hard. I'm 28, have my BA, and have lived and worked in Chicago as a Mortgage Analyst the past 6 years. Not looking to make a career out of this - just want to have fun, live, work, and hang out in Europe for around 6 months to 2 years. Sort of a life sabbatical Smile But I want to work while I'm there. Legally or illegally. My other option is Ljubljana, Slovenia but that's a story for another forum.

Anyway all positive (and negative) feedback is welcome! Seems like people are willing to offer both on here Laughing Wink
Lunkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to know? I was a teacher in Frankfurt in 2000/2001. It was a bit pricey to live there, but I got some freelance work and averaged the equivalent of about 2000 euro a month take home. Mind you, I was a new teacher back then and didn't mind 30+ teaching hours a week.

Life in Frankfurt itself is ok, but it would've been better if I spoke more German back then. Now I live elsewhere in Germany and speak passable German, the difference in the things I am able to do now is incredible. I did like Frankfurt's central location in Germany which made travelling almost anywhere at weekends a possibility.

So, it's a bit pricey, but work is easy to find and weekends should be good.
puhutes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I found it very easy to find a job in this area. Frankfurt has an enormous amount of language schools all over the city. I've heard all kinds of things that the Germans prefer CELTA because it is the British certification and whatever... but honestly, between my 3 bosses (companies) not one have them have ever asked or cared about my TESOL certification. I personally have found it useful though since I had no previous in class English teaching experience. I would personally stay away from the chain schools like Berlitz and look more for a "mom and pops" type school. They generally pay better than the chain schools anyways. You can also ask the local Volkshochschule (like an adult education school) How good is your German anyways? The Germans consider the ability to speak German very important for an English teacher. If you have any other questions... feel free to write me a mail. Machs gut!
LG Jennifer
Lunkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puhutes wrote:
How good is your German anyways? The Germans consider the ability to speak German very important for an English teacher.
LG Jennifer

yeah that's the one problem - I don't speak any German. am I SOL?
puhutes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really SOL, but I would highly suggest you either take a course before you get here or take one when you get here. I can't really say if they willor won't take you if you don't speak a word of German because I've personally never been in that boat.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never spoke a word of German when I arrived in Frankfurt. It's an international city, and my non-existent German didn't affect job prospects at schools or private work at all. But as I said above, the improvement in lifestyle once you speak passable German is manyfold.
renovatio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last post to this thread was made in Jan '08 so I was wondering if the situation in Frankfurt has changed at all. Can anyone that has posted on here give an update to the job conditions for Frankfurt? I am planning a move near there at the end of June. Thanks!
shodg001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Working in Frankfurt Reply with quote

You might want to have a look at ELTAF (http://www.eltaf.de/). It's a good group to network with. A lot of schools in the area also monitor the yahoo group discussion. If you post that your looking for work you might make some contacts. I hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: