Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prohibited from other kinds of work in Chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsalsero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Prohibited from other kinds of work in Chile? Reply with quote

Are foreign teachers (like us) legally prohibited from doing other kinds of work in Chile?

That's the way it is in Korea. Most of us are on E-2 visas and aren't supposed to do other kinds of work outside of our primary school contract....although many do.

But I'll probably be interested in try to do not only some outside English lessons but also perhaps some work with Chilean companies who need help with web copywriting, SEO, etc.. I know something about that stuff.

Can I do it in Chile and what's some good ways to get 'into' the Chilean business community?

Regards,
Art
Dia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on your visa. the two most common types that foreigners initially get are subject to contract and temporary

if you have a "subject to contract" visa you are legally supposed to only work for the company that supported you in getting the visa. its unlikely anybody would know otherwise, but i guess if the second company asked you to use "boletas" (like an online invoice that is part of the system of paying taxes) instead of paying under the table then the fact that you are going against your contract/visa would be quite obvious to anybody who saw it. (extranjeria, tax people...) though i dunno if they'd be motivated to do anything about it or not.

if you have a temporary visa you can legally pretty much work for who you want and there would be no problem whatsoever with working on the side.

best way into chilean business community is connections. start with your students, tell them you are interested in that kind of work too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: