Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorbiking through Cambodia without a license?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Motorbiking through Cambodia without a license? Reply with quote

Hey guys

I'm thinking of coming to Cambodia in February. Planning on renting a motorbike in PP (preferably a 250cc) and then driving through the country from there.

Before getting too far ahead of myself though, I'd like to know if I'd even be able to travel this way through Cambodia without a license? The only license I HAD was my Canadian drivers license, which expired.
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I've just read that a Cambodian drivers license is now required :/ I guess that leaves me with two questions....

1) How long would it take me to get a Cambodian Drivers license? I couldn't imagine this being worthwhile, as I'd only be there for 2 weeks (unless the process is remarkably quick and easy).

2) Are the rules usually enforced AND - if caught - are there sneaky ways around it Wink

TECHNICALLY, you also need a local license here in Vietnam, but after a fairly strong one month (or so) crackdown, there seems to been little enforcing done (from my experience and others). I was pulled over once, and a 10US 'fee' was all that was required, despite the officer being full aware that I lacked a local license.

Just wondering if it's perhaps the same situation there.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Okay I've just read that a Cambodian drivers license is now required :/ I guess that leaves me with two questions....

1) How long would it take me to get a Cambodian Drivers license? I couldn't imagine this being worthwhile, as I'd only be there for 2 weeks (unless the process is remarkably quick and easy).

2) Are the rules usually enforced AND - if caught - are there sneaky ways around it Wink

I believe a Cambodian licence is required for all bikes over 125cc (but don't quote me on it). The licence is easy enough to obtain if you have a 3, 6, or 12 month business visa, but I doubt you will get one if you only hold a one month tourist visa. Most expats use Lucky Lucky Motorcycle shop who will do all the legwork for you. You pay $45 (plus Lucky's fee?) for a licence which is valid for one year. Previously, they did not always require a copy of a licence from your own country, but this may have changed recently as the police have started to enforce the traffic regulations. I am fairly sure that a copy of your expired Canadian licence would probably suffice. The licence takes approximately one month to obtain, but you are issued a receipt immediately and may legally drive using this as a substitute for the licence.

Many locals and some expats do not have driving licences and simply pay an 'on-the-spot-fine' (ahem) if stopped by the police. This ranges from Riels 2000 (about .50 US cents) to 5000 depending on your bargaining skills. As a foreigner you will be something of a magnet for the traffic police, and they will demand considerably more money initially. Bear in mind that without a licence, any insurance, including medical insurance, will likely be invalid if you have an accident. Medical facilities here are pretty dire and outside Phnom Penh and a couple of other urban areas are virtually non-existent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: