Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glossa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marrria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Glossa Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a job with Glossa but I'd like to get some info before I make a decision.
What's their reputation? What's the pay range?
I'd appreciate getting responses from people who are already working for them or who have had any kind of experience with them.

Thanks!

Maria
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no-one has responded, I'll throw out the very little I know about this school. It's been around quite a while (usually a good sign) and I knew someone who worked there a few years back - she was quite satisfied.

The pay will be most likely the same as all schools in Prague - hopefully enough to live on, but not to save up, pay off debts back home, or travel much outside of the CR.

Sorry I don't know anything more specific. Good luck!
uspech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been working for Glossa for just over a year. Most new teachers start off at 185 CZK for a 45 minute lesson. After being here a year, I've been given a raise to 205 CZK (woo...) It isn't much, but it seems to be the going rate.

They have teaching seminars most weeks and they assign you a tutor to help you settle in, but it's still a bit scary at first. You will have to travel all over the city and work long hours, I especially hate the 7:30 starts, but it's like that at all language schools I imagine. They help with your visa, if you need it, and they have a pretty good library. The only problems I have with them are that they fine you 1500 CZK for dropping a class, and that you have to spend quite a lot of time updating information about your students on their online system. But I think they are pretty good on the whole.

I hope this helps, but you can ask me if there's anything else you'd like to know.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

205 sounds REALLY low for Prague. I taught about 100km away, and on the two occasions I was offered positions in Prague, the rate was over 300/hr. I have NEVER had to pay for dropping a class, and would refuse to do so entirely.
uspech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

205 is on the low end of the spectrum, but I don't think it's all that low. As a new teacher you could do worse.

They deduct it from your salary, obviously, otherwise everyone would just refuse to pay. I agree it's pretty bad.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know what 'dropping a class' means, exactly. Does it mean that you can say you don't want to work with that specific client ever? Or does it mean that you missed one class?

In either case, I suppose it must be in response to problems with teachers in the past ... too bad.
Nevpraguetefl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile

Glossa is a reputable school and I have this information from past grads of our TEFL program and also from my own personal experience - having taught there for a number of years when I first arrived to Prague.
The only negative which I found there was the amount of paperwork and general admin which teachers needed to complete.
Otherwise, it is a recommended school.
The wage is a bit on the low side but if they still have the same system as when I was working there then they do offer an end of year bonus if a teacher completes the teaching year.

Hope it helps!

Neville Smile
________
ITTP Prague
Nevpraguetefl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add to my post that when I taught at Glossa I traveled to Sinai each February and every Summer I left Europe and was either in India or S.America. OK, I did work my a double s off and my schedule was completely full but I also still managed to fit in a long weekend off - whereby I finished my last class Friday lunchtime and restarted early Monday morning.
I would have found it very difficult to do this though without the end of year bonus which Glossa gave out - it equaled for me an additional month's wage on top of my usual wage at the end of June/ beginning of July.
I also want to add that it took a year for me to be in the position where I was given as many classes as I wanted.
If you want to teach full-time then it is possible to earn enough to save a bit.
OK, it isn't S.Korea where the wages are still very high but it ain't all doom and gloom here. At the very least teaching full-time you can pay your way and afford to go out most nights.

Neville Smile
_________
ITTP Prague
uspech

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glossa doesn't pay an end of year bonus anymore, and I've yet to meet a Glossa teacher who can afford holidays in South America on their salary.

They do give you a lot of paperwork, but this is the price you pay for working in a school where everything is properly organised. Out of all the schools I have worked for in Prague, it is by far the best run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: