Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House and Wages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Met up with the teachers from IH Kosalin on Saturday as we had a training weekend, and seems its more dismal than we all think! Met their new DOS and a real nasty piece of work, backstabbing her staff and fishing ours to see what she can find out about her own teachers. They only 4 teachers, and seems they are contracted to 26 hours in the classroom for teaching, they do not get the returners bonus of a months salary as the rest of us do, even though it states on theit website and the IH website that they do! one teacher told me that at a meeting on last friday it was put to them that they might get their monthly pay in bits and pieces throughout the month. Also, 3 teachers confirmed that when they went to the hostel that they were booked into, it was neither reserved or paid for. From what i heard and felt it seems that their motivation is rock bottom and all are stuck in a rut!
maniak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man thats doom and gloom, and I hear ya fellas. But dont forget about the smaller cities! Ive been to all the major cities and NONE left any kind of warm cuddly feelings, Warsaw for me blows, Krakow and Poznan are snob factories empty of any charm, Trojmiasto is ok but just ok... Recently Ive been spending a lot of time in a smaller city of 75,000 not far from Wroclaw and I was blown away by the lifestyle change. Slower, kinder, nicer, the service ton better, and after a few classes I got dates, hookups, references, its 50% cheaper than in the big cities, no traffic, no lines at the govt office and the cities are very well organized.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniak wrote:
Man thats doom and gloom, and I hear ya fellas. But dont forget about the smaller cities! Ive been to all the major cities and NONE left any kind of warm cuddly feelings, Warsaw for me blows, Krakow and Poznan are snob factories empty of any charm, Trojmiasto is ok but just ok... Recently Ive been spending a lot of time in a smaller city of 75,000 not far from Wroclaw and I was blown away by the lifestyle change. Slower, kinder, nicer, the service ton better, and after a few classes I got dates, hookups, references, its 50% cheaper than in the big cities, no traffic, no lines at the govt office and the cities are very well organized.

Which city is that dude?

I agree that Warsaw is shite and Krakow is ok but far too touristy now.

I spent a year in Poznan and loved the city itself.The locals are full of themselves and snobby however.All my Polish acquaintances while living in Poznan were from other parts of Poland.
maniak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swidnica. I spent some time in Walbrzych but that city is scary. I also have two Polish friends working in Czestochowa and in Torun and after visiting both left a favorable impression.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniak wrote:
Swidnica. I spent some time in Walbrzych but that city is scary. I also have two Polish friends working in Czestochowa and in Torun and after visiting both left a favorable impression.

I've never been to Swidnica but passed through Walbrzych several times and have to agree with you;it is a nasty place.An old Silesian mining town with sunken streets and lots of grime everywhere.

Czestochowa is ok as well.That monastery is a big draw there.Torun is lovely.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swidnica?

i have a good friend from Swidnica. i was just there last month. decent place but i just don't know if i could wake up every morning and go to work in that town. on the other hand, having all that extra cash due to a lower cost of living along with, as a native speaker, being a big fish in a little pond has its benefits.

Jack Walker wrote:

Quote:
it is a nasty place. An old.....town with sunken streets and lots of grime everywhere."

in all honesty......that just about sums up most towns in Poland.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
Swidnica?

i have a good friend from Swidnica. i was just there last month. decent place but i just don't know if i could wake up every morning and go to work in that town. on the other hand, having all that extra cash due to a lower cost of living along with, as a native speaker, being a big fish in a little pond has its benefits.

Jack Walker wrote:

Quote:
it is a nasty place. An old.....town with sunken streets and lots of grime everywhere."

in all honesty......that just about sums up most towns in Poland.

Lol,yes but the streets in Walbrzych(imagine the folks back home trying to spell that one!) were extra sunken from all of the old collapsed coal mines in the area.There were times I remember when the bumper of my car would scrape on the streets because of the severity of the sinkholes. What a hellhole!
greggie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the latest in the Drama at IH Koszalin. What we have heard here is that from January the School Director is gone, and the Welfare&Adminstration Director is gone too, and the school will be run by the DOS and the Secretary, our school will support Koszalin financially as it seems they have totally hit rock bottom and have no cash, but still trying to recruit staff, in our teachers room today we were discussing the fact that if a teacher there is sick, one of us might have to go to Koszalin and cover their teachers. It really is a soap-opera there!!
greggie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard today that one of our favourite teachers at IH Koszalin has resigned lately. The rumour is that his letter of resignation was a few pages long. I will try and catch him on skype today or over the weekend and see if i can get a copy of his letter, then post it here for all to read.
saintmichi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i work for the IH integra group - Wroclaw, Katowice, Opole and Bielsko Biala and this is NOT the case at all.

1st year teachers are paid 2,700zl, and second year 3,400zl, seeing as that is tax free and my rent for a one bedroom flat 20 mins walk from work is 850zl per month (including ALL bills) i can live like a queen <3

i don't think you should tar all IH schools with the same brush!
greggie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint, i wasnt trying to tar all of IH Polska, as i have heard good reports from the Southern groups, but here in Torun a first year teacher gets 1600 and 2nd 1875 and thats it nothing more, no matter how long you have worked for the group.
saintmichi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awful, here theres a further payrise as an incentive to stay for a 3rd year too!
anyway, the wages are only one of the great things about my job.... my school is amazing, i can't sing its praises enough
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3,400zl a month for how many hours?

If it's anything like I've heard (24 contact hours) - then 34zl an hour is a pretty horrible wage.
greggie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your school is much better and totally different to what we have in IH North Saint. Its a shame that IH themselves dont have a total national average that every school should stand-by. We might have the educational suppoer as you do, but when it comes to financial support or to feel satisified after a months work, 1875pln is pretty hard, when you figure out that someone working in a supermarket is getting pretty close to the same as you!
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greggie wrote:
Sounds like your school is much better and totally different to what we have in IH North Saint. Its a shame that IH themselves dont have a total national average that every school should stand-by. We might have the educational suppoer as you do, but when it comes to financial support or to feel satisified after a months work, 1875pln is pretty hard, when you figure out that someone working in a supermarket is getting pretty close to the same as you!

1875zl a month is robbery to say the least. I cannot imagine why anyone would agree to this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: