Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Status of Americans teaching in Prague?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliebk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Current Status of Americans teaching in Prague? Reply with quote

Hi everyone--so last October 2009 I completed my Trinity CertTESOL at Oxford TEFL Prague, tried to get a job, but my visa ran out on me.

I'm thinking about going back...I hear things got a little better after I left and that the time I was there was a particularly bad time for jobs. What do you know about the current situation for Americans? I was thinking about going next August.

Thanks!
teflworldwide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie,

I am an American who has been living in Prague since Feb 2009, and I have been working for TEFL Worldwide for the past year doing admissions and job guidance. Based on what I�ve seen, you had the misfortune of coming during one of the worst hiring freezes. Fortunately what you hear about the current hiring sitiuation is true. The job market picked back up in early 2010 and has remained relatively stable since then. The great majority of our graduates looking to stay in Prague have been able to find a job within 2-4 weeks, and some even secured them before the course ended. As far as I know, only a couple of our graduates who have put genuine time and effort into finding a job were unsuccessful in their search, and almost all have successfully obtained long term visas as well.

August is a particularly good time to come, as late August/early September is the most popular hiring time. Fifteen of our graduates from the last August course had jobs secured within one week of the course's end. If you have a TEFL certificate and a university degree, you shouldn�t have much trouble finding a job then (assuming the market stays the same.) I do recommend keeping an eye on the visa situation, as the rules are subject to change frequently. I would have your TEFL school or employer contact the foreign police to find out the current rules at your time of employment in order to avoid anymore visa issues.

Best of luck in your job search, and I hope you�re able to make it back to this fabulous city! It�s definitely worth putting in the time and effort necessary to live and work here. I'm happy to help if you have any other questions.

~Renee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: