Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanuatu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAmericanNomad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Vanuatu Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about teaching there? Being an American I have never been there myself, but I am fascinated with the place. Any Aussies or Kiwis (or anyone else who knows) have any information for me? The CIA website says only 23% of the population speak English, but other sources seem to imply that education isn't that important there. So, what does the TEFL job market look like there?
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aid organisations, such as the New Zealand VSA (Voluntary Service Abroad), have programmes in Vanuatu. I think you need to be a NZ resident to volunteer through them, but there are other national agencies working there as well as international agencies such as Rotary International and Unicef, so you could look through those if you want to go there and have relevant experience and skills. One NZ'er I know is working on a project in Vanuatu in partnership with Unicef. Another has been doing something similar in Kiribas. Both are highly-qualified and have a long track record in development work - that's ideally what the Aid organisations are looking for - it's more at the level of curriculum development than classroom teaching, where local teachers (many of whom have been through English-medium education) are not in short supply.

I've not come across any mention of a TEFL market in Vanuatu. I don't think it really has the conditions to support one. The country is poor and mostly dependent on subsistence farming. It's spread across dozens of fairly far-flung islands, and doesn't really have any urban centre, except the rather small and undeveloped Port Vila. You might find, if you went there, that it was possible to pick up some one-to-one teaching in Port Vila. Or if you are a registered teacher you could apply to one of the very few international schools. In any case, you're likely to need to be on the spot to pick up any work, which is also likely to be low-paid and patchy.

Martin McMorrow, New Zealand
TheAmericanNomad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the information. Looks like my dream trip will take a few more years than I had hoped. Hopefully once I get my CELTA I can find a job in Korea or somewhere that will allow me to take a (relatively) short trip there. I had hoped that Port Vila would be built up enough to have some sort of TEFL market, but it seems my ignorance was clouding my vision.

Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate the informative post. I will consider unicef once I am ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: