Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there such thing as Border Run in Ukraine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Start123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Is there such thing as Border Run in Ukraine? Reply with quote

I'd like to consider Kiev as a place to work, however I'd like not to work for anyone but myself.
After 90 days...can you do a border run to Germany for example and come back for another 90 days?
1Sapphire1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visa is required to come to Ukraine unless you are from a country
with visa-free privileges such as the USA. In this case you do not need a visa for a stay of up to 90 days if the purpose of your visit is visiting friends or family, travel, personal business.

(You do need a visa for: employment, university studies, diplomatic service, church mission, permanent residency, immigration.)

A visa is also required for stays of more than 90 days in a row or for more than 90 days total out of any 180 consecutive days.

Once in Ukraine, some categories of foreigners who have visas may need to register with the city OVIR (Office of Visas and Registrations)

For example: for a private, business, or tourism visa, registration is required only for stays of more than 90 days continuously in Ukraine; registration avoidable through "border runs"; registration process must be begun near end of 90 day period from most recent border crossing.

By having a visa you may not have to leave the country every 90 days
but you would have to register with the OVIR and may have to pay them a fee. By doing a border run every 90 days you avoid registering with the government and will not have to pay a fee.

It is generally recognized among expats that making periodic trips to one of Ukraine's international border crossings is actually easier than going through the registration process. However, some categories of foreigners cannot avoid registration:
� those with student visas or work visas
� those applying for permanent residency
� those with business, private, service, and some other types of visas who fail to make regular border crossings, either through international travel or "border runs"
Furthermore, border runs may become impossible some time in the future and are actually not completely legal at the moment, since holders of business and private visas are technically not allowed to spend more than 90 out of any 180 consecutive days in Ukraine. However, this point of regulations is not being widely enforced.

Brace yourself...
Visits to the OVIR are often frustrating because of OVIR workers' unwillingness to answer questions and offer information. You may end up wasting time standing in line, visiting the OVIR just to find out the office hours, and having to return because the officer will not talk to you unless you show them document X. Bring all possibly relevant documents (esp.
Start123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that about Russians( or Ukranians), you ask them a simple YES or NO question and they start telling you the story about the moon and the Sun and maybe rain,or maybe stars...wtf?

Is it ok to re-enter Ukraine to reset your supposedly tourist visit for another 90 days?...USA passport if it matters.
1Sapphire1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it was so long. I just copied and pasted from something that I already had on Word.
Yes you can leave the country every 90 days with or without a visa. I have a friend that doesn't have a visa who does this. (I do it also but I have a visa. We both have US passports. The cheapest option is just to go to Moldova) However while it can be done it is against the rules so if they do stricter enforcement you may have a problem.
Start123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Sapphire1 wrote:
Sorry it was so long. I just copied and pasted from something that I already had on Word.
Yes you can leave the country every 90 days with or without a visa. I have a friend that doesn't have a visa who does this. (I do it also but I have a visa. We both have US passports. The cheapest option is just to go to Moldova) However while it can be done it is against the rules so if they do stricter enforcement you may have a problem.

Thanks man! I've heard similar reports that you can do it. I used to fly to Germany from Borispol on Wizzair really cheap! Around 50USD return...i recall. Now it looks around 200 USD. Must be the season!
How do go to Moldova? By bus or train? What's the cost?
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: