Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA-Q...salary related question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smacd

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: CNA-Q...salary related question Reply with quote

Anyone know what CNA'Q's EFL salaries start at these days? I noticed that Qatar's inflation is an astonishing 17% this year!!! Have starting salaries increased accordingly? I've often heard they pay one of the highest salaries in the entire region (obviously due, in some part, to the numerous problems pointed out on this forum) and wonder if it's still the case.
lukey

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: CNAQ Salaries Reply with quote

To smacd

I noticed on another forum that you consider yourself "fortunate" to have been offered a position at CNAQ - did they not tell you what your salary would be?
smacd

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CNAQ Salaries Reply with quote

lukey wrote:
To smacd

I noticed on another forum that you consider yourself "fortunate" to have been offered a position at CNAQ - did they not tell you what your salary would be?

Hi Lukey,

I know how much they are offering me but I'm not sure where that stands in comparison to others. If the place is as bad and poisonous as I have been reading here, I want to make sure that I am not getting low-balled and am getting a fair offer. If you're uncomfortable writing on a public forum, feel free to pm me.
tuckerg76

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smacd, did you take the job after? If so, how has your experience been? Please PM me if time permits.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice that this thread was posted 2 years ago?

The teachers that I know who are teaching there now are all planning their exits as things have gone so down hill and any future is a big question mark. I wouldn't consider for a moment taking a job there right now.

VS
tuckerg76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ VS... I noticed the age of the post, but i can't PM (yet). I was hoping the author would get an email notifying him/her of my reply. Maybe if an a generous mood he/she might share about Qatar life. Have you worked there? I have heard some stuff both ways, but right now I am doing research trying to get a full picture of pros and cons. If you care to share, just send me a PM.
kellygreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries are determined as to the scales/steps negotiated under the collective bargaining agreement in NFLD and then there are further calculations for those employed in Qatar with CNAQ - no one understands or can explain the latter (and they are the reason for the $5million overpayment fiasco).

You can't be lowballed but you could be overpaid - ask the dozens who have had a pay cut with their renewals this year.
capthappy20002000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellygreen wrote:
Salaries are determined as to the scales/steps negotiated under the collective bargaining agreement in NFLD and then there are further calculations for those employed in Qatar with CNAQ - no one understands or can explain the latter (and they are the reason for the $5million overpayment fiasco).

You can't be lowballed but you could be overpaid - ask the dozens who have had a pay cut with their renewals this year.

Hi, Thank you for your comment, it was very helpful. I searched online and have now found the Unofficial CNAQ Collective Agreement. I see the scales/steps grid you have mentioned. The grid is made up of 'Grades' (vertical) and 'Steps' (horizontal). I am assuming that these refer to years of university and years of working experience. But can you please define what they are to the best of your ability? For example, Grades = years of univ/work? Steps = years of univ/work experience?
Then I can get a more accurate approximation of my salary. I understand that the Unofficial CNAQ Collective Agreement may be different from the official, but they are probably very similar.

Thanks, your input is highly appreciated.
kellygreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That too is available on line - I believe under the Public Service Union website - it won't give you the math to calculate how much you would be offered in Qatar - they apparently never did have one that was understandable and now, despite the fact it is checked and rechecked by at least half a dozen people - they still haven't shared it with employees
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellygreen wrote:
That too is available on line - I believe under the Public Service Union website - it won't give you the math to calculate how much you would be offered in Qatar - they apparently never did have one that was understandable and now, despite the fact it is checked and rechecked by at least half a dozen people - they still haven't shared it with employees

This is bizarre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: