Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making money in EU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelbug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Making money in EU Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am heading to Portugal in June, and I am curious as to what a decent (hourly) salary is in the European Union. For a bit of background, I am Canadian, with about 4 years of teaching experience, and I have a BA in English and an MA in Applied Linguistics. I do have a valid working permit, as my husband is Portuguese. Most of the posts I have seen regarding European jobs (and there are none for Portugal, what's up with that?) don't mention a salary. If anyone could help me out and let me know a rough hourly salary, I would appreciate it. I don't want to get there and lowball myself!!

Thanks alot.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Portugal Reply with quote

As the ads often say, salaries vary according to age and experience. I wouldn't expect to make a fortune in Portugal.
Schools everywhere are recruiting now for the next academic year, so it's worth checking EFL websites on a daily basis. International House usually have a lot of vacancies, and they have several schools in Portugal. See their website, ihworld.com
travelbug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll take it all into account when I get there. Now there seem to be no Portugal vacancies anywhere. How frustrating!!!
queenkp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, arriving in June will be a mess. Don't expect schools to see you straight away, as it's the end of our 'year'. Some schools in Lisbon have work in the summer, but the majority have very few hours until October. June will also be a mess because of the Euro2004 tournament; I'm not sure anyone will be in 'work' mode until mid to late July. August is the month everyone goes on holiday, and most language schools close.

The lowest hourly wage I've heard of here is 7 euros/hr. I have friends working for 11.50, 14, 17, 19.50, and 25. It really depends on the school. Private lessons can fetch you between 15 and 45, depending on what you're teaching. And remember that the cost of living is relatively low, so your money goes pretty far. I have friends who live on 800/month.

As I mentioned in a posting above, the issue is lack of turnover. Once you're here you will find work (at least by October!), it isn't going to be easy though. When you arrive, get your green reciepts sorted out first, then let the schools know you're ready to work that day if necessary.
travelbug

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I'll take everything into account and hopefully everything will work out. At least I don't need accomodation, that sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare! Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: