Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police Training Institute - EFL jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lollaerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an anti-Gulag bias. Not one gulager was offered a job although at least 4 or 5 were interviewed. Not yours truly, however, I wouldn't stoop so low. Now that they have a new tough tootsie in charge, it's definitely not a nice place to work. It's true the staff are fearful, who wouldn't be when they are under threat all the time. I heard she loves to do lesson observations and hassles people by doing 3 or 4 in a week. Who ever heard of such a thing? Very insecure. I wonder if she gives demo lessons and if so how good they are. Anyway, just give this job a wide berth.
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been major changes in the police academy. The incompetent and temperamental director has been relocated to another department. There is now a new director of curriculum and a new department head. They have hired several native speakers, so things are definitely looking up. The main problem with the police academy was the director of the English Unit who had no clue how to run a department, had no people-skills and did not know what she was doing. Fortunately, someone smartened up and realized that the unit was in big trouble. After the assistant quit because of harassment the director didn't know what to do as the assistant had done all the work.

The teachers are a more optimistic about the changes but wary of the curriculum head. Let's hope the improvement continues.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - heard that the place has improved. The woman who used to run it turned me down a couple of years ago when I applied as the Gulag was folding. They say she was not very competent and the new woman in charge is much better with more experience. Let's hope there will be more positive developments in future.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out to be of the same ilk. Most expat teachers are not happy with the new administrator who has a habit of putting people down and does not have work ethics and standards. The usual "I'm the boss, syndrome. Do what I tell you, or else!" The salary range is 13,000- 15,000 but not enough for the cost of living. Is it worth it?
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently not. Three teachers have left recently. Staff are very unhappy with the new director who is into control and humiliation. More teachers may leave, it's a small unit - maybe a dozen teachers, so every humiliation is very public. Not worth it. A guy who recently quit and went home to his country reported that he had never been so badly treated in his teaching career. Hmmm.

Quote:
What makes a Control Freak Tick? "These are the key aspects of a Control Freak. They have a driving need to create your agenda, they insist on controlling all their interactions with you, basically, they have to run the show and call they shot - OR ELSE. Phsycologists call this a personality disorder, and all though you might not find a specific disease named for these poor freaks, their characteristics can often be found in perfectionists and workaholics, and it is considered to be an Obessesive Compulsive Disorder. They have an inability to trust or make commitments because they fear that someone might notice they are not perfect.
landcruzer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very unhappy teacher recently quit.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted applying to this place a few months ago. There weren't any advertisements, but I was told that they were hiring. I managed to find their number on the MOI website, and gave them a call. The phone was answered by a lady who didn't speak one word of English. As my Arabic wasn't much better than her English, I had to end up hanging up. I'm not criticising someone if they can't speak English (as I can't speak Arabic), but it was strange. It was almost like she was being deliberately obtuse. She didn't even say "I don't speak English" in English; she said it in Arabic. In Qatar, how many office workers, regardless of nationality, have you met who can't speak one single word of English? She didn't make any attempt to transfer me to an English-speaker either. Needless to say, I didn't get a very good impression and didn't pursue it any further.
mesquite

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed here after I quit ABP. You're right - very few people can speak English. You have to go in person and try to find the director. The one who interviewed me was not too with it, her assistant a Palestinian or Egyptian or something like that was more on the ball. The place looked miserable and unfriendly. Western expats don't stay long. My ex had a friend who worked there. The new manager is worse than the old one and seems to think that teachers are there to serve. No idea of basic pedagogy.
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is going down. The last language head was very difficult but the replacement is causing grief. So many teachers want to quit. One reason is the the salary is not on par with other places; the only plus is the good accommodation but that doesn�t compensate for a head who verbally abuses her teachers and has no interpersonal skills. The teacher I know also says the students are nice but the teachers are treated as if they are children (not a surprise since the new head is a primary school teacher). They need to get someone with proper experience and respect for expats, not someone who puts them down! The person needs management training lessons and should be trained to respect staff not belittle them. No wonder people are job-hunting but probably won't get the NOC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: