Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some advice, quite a few questions!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leilalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Some advice, quite a few questions! Reply with quote

Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum, I am 26 (still feel 18 at heart, groan) and would like to study to teach English abroad. I already have a degree and understand I should undertake a CELTA course which is what is required to get ones foot in the door of teaching abroad.
Why is this in the Italy forum I hear you cry! Well, my family are Italian (although I don't live there) and that is where I want to teach (I speak some Italian and currently have lessons each week to progress further).

I would like to study either in Naples (where my family is from, and I spend a lot of time there already!) or Rome. I have contacted the British Council who operate the Naples course and as yet have not heard back from them, although I appreciate it is close to Christmas.

My questions are;
1) Has anyone studied at the BC in Naples or Rome? If so, what was your experience of the course?
2) When did the course run? I intend on studying the intensive, full time course.
3) Did you do the Young Learner Certificate in addition to the Adult Learner? If so, would you recommend doing this immediately after the CELTA course?
4) What is the total cost of the course?
5) Is it a good idea to do the CELTA course in the country I ultimately intend to teach in? I already know Naples fairly well and feel very at home there (and blend in very well!)
6) When was the closing date for applications. I would like to study as soon as possible.
7) What was the application process like? Was it very intensive?

Thank you in advance!

I am sure I will have a million other questions, they shall come later...

Leila
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leila... some advice for you:

- Don't bother with the extra CELTA young learners course, schools in Italy won't require it for sure.
- Taking CELTA in italy would probably be quite a good idea as you'd be able to make friends and contacts which may be to your advantage when appling for jobs. Taking CELTA in Italy is usually a bit more expensive than it is in England (I did mine for around �900 last summer in London).
- I imagine you will have no trouble finding work in Naples. I was actually in quite a similar position to you (English born, Italian family, an okay grasp of the language but far from fluent etc) and I managed to find work just outside of Venice.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help

Matteo
leilalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I was going to use doing the YL course as an excuse to stay another 2 weeks in Naples! ha ha!
You have supported what I was thinking with regards to studying where I want to teach giving contacts, in addition to having a lot of friends/relatives there. My main concern would be with a diet of Pizza/Sfogliatelle/Nonna's pasta I would put on a lot of weight! Embarassed

I am just concerned that I have not heard back from the British Council as I don't want to miss the closing date! That would be typical having finally decided on the path I wish to go!
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you need CELTA plus a couple of years experience to work for a British Council school?? Or are you applying to the British Council to be a language assistant in a high school???

Once you have CELTA you'd be able to find work fairly easily. When are you thinking of going?
leilalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to apply to the British Council to study the CELTA, the British Council do run these don't they? Or have I misunderstood the website? (possible...) It just states on their website that they require you to be 20+, have the necessary education and level of English but doesn't mention experience Question I would like to teach in the Campania region in the long term.

My brain is still frazzled from working for several years in the legal industry, it does terrible things to you hence the confusion!!

I would like to start as soon as possible to be honest, I would prefer Naples (because I already go there every few months already so know the city well) however I would also consider Rome.
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay, you're just applying to do your CELTA at the British Council. This makes sense now! I thought you had applied for a job with them so I must have been more confused than you.

The legal industry sounds very confusing. I did my degree in Law which was confusing enough already!

Anyway, as I said before, once you have CELTA and you're in Italy you should be able to find work. I don't know what the job market is like in Naples but I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP: You've got a law degree and you didn't pursue a career in law? Actually, I know two people who studied law. One ended up as a barrister, after working her socks off for years, fighting prejudice all the way; and the other ended up as a comedian!

Leila: I'm sure there's work in Napoli (and surrounding area) and I know there's work in Rome. (Not that I'm there anymore, but know people still teaching there.) But if you're a true Napolitana, I need to warn you that you might not be happy in Rome - richer, perhaps, but maybe a bit homesick!
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
CP: You've got a law degree and you didn't pursue a career in law? Actually, I know two people who studied law. One ended up as a barrister, after working her socks off for years, fighting prejudice all the way; and the other ended up as a comedian!

I'm better suited to teaching than being a lawyer. Plus, it's ridiculously competetive to find a training contract these days with plenty of young law graduates funding the LPC themselves.

Teaching>Legal work !
sannox29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: leilalk Reply with quote

leilalk ,
I have read through your post and wondered how you got on with the course and where you studied. My husband and I are considering doing the same course, and are trying to decide where and also wondered what the job prospects were like. Any updated info on your journey would be most appreciated.
leilalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have sent in my application, along with the pre interview task, but have not heard anything back from them yet (apart from an acknowledgement) I am a little concerned as I was really hoping to study there!! If I do get rejected, I am intending on applying to Rome and any other courses.

I will be more than a bit depressed if I don't get on the course. I thought my English was OK, possibly it isn't good enough Sad I put so much work in to my application and was getting really excited! Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger etc ... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: