Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the best schools to teach English at in Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senor Alex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: What are the best schools to teach English at in Costa Rica Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to find a job teaching English in Costa Rica in the next two months and I was wondering where people have had the most positive experiences. I want to learn Spanish while I am there, so I would like to take some free Spanish courses through whatever school I work at. I also have little experience teaching so I would prefer a school that organizes the class/curriculum for me so I do not have to do all the planning. If you can include any information about hours/schedules and the pay provided that would be great. Thank you for any information you can offer, have a good day. -Alex
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any formal training, or do you just think that because you can speak English you can teach it?
Senor Alex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a TESOL training program, I have a minor in education, and recently I observed and taught an ESL adult a class a bit. I'm hoping to find a 6 month contract in Costa Rica teaching adults, so it would have to be a school that doesn't require extensive teaching experience.
elliott22212

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try George Theiss and Robert Holloway at English2go. In my time with them, they were VERY helpful, and if you are honest and hardworking with them, they will return the favor.

Dawn Needham at Prolanguage is also someone I would recommend working with.

I know a lot of people who have had god experiences with Deb at IESA as well.

The fact is that teaching in CR is not exactly pleasant. You often have to get up early, work late and take LOOOOOOOONG bus rides to get to class. That being said, the students are usually wonderful, the weather is perfect and the weekend trips can't be beat. If you can deal with the sacrifices, it's definitely worth it.

If there's one thing I can tell you it's just to always be honest with your clients and employers. They understand what CR is all about, just be straight with them and usually people will understand.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
George Theiss

I second that...George is a stand up guy that does well by teachers and has done so for years now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jprimm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for English 2 Go, Whitimore English, inlingua and Pro language and they were and are all excellent schools. They paid on time and were very fair in their scheduling. Anyone of them would be good, imho..
Senor Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses. I contacted those schools and will likely interview with IESA and hopefully some of the others. Whittemore requests 2 years of experience teaching English, but I think the other schools are more lenient on experience. I am hoping to find a position with on-site classes maybe 4 days a week (15-20 hours or so) so I can also travel. Hopefully, this comes together otherwise I may look into work as an individual tutor or even at a call center.
pivoman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact is that teaching in CR is not exactly pleasant. You often have to get up early, work late and take LOOOOOOOONG bus rides to get to class.

This is the problem with schools like english to go. Its the teachers that have to go. Much better to work at a school where the students come to the teachers. No heavy backpacks, no wet clothes, no 90min bus rides to teach a 90 min class, no walking around late at night. I found a school that I like alot. Its called idiomasmundiales and not only are all the classes in the school, but the owners are ex teachers and do all the lesson planning for you. You only have to come up with an activity if you feel like it.
ltroshinsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone heard of golden valley school (primary school) in Heredia? if so, good things, bad things?

thanks.
Chiller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Intercultura Reply with quote

I had a great experience at Intercultura in Heredia. The students are great but the English dept. chair has changed since I was there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: